Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Genetic relation between the surrogate mother and the child

Genetic relation between the surrogate mother and the child

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Kelly De Leon</span>
    Kelly De Leon

Hello, could anybody help me understand all about surrogacy? You see, my husband and I need a surrogate because I’ve the Asherman’s syndrome. We’re going to use my eggs and my husband’s sperm, but I wonder if the surrogate will also transmit her genetic code to our baby. I hope you are able to help us.

04/24/2016 at 10:38 pm
  2. Dear Kelly,

If you are using your eggs along with your husband’s sperm, then the baby will be genetically tied with you, not with the surrogate. You’d be the genetic parents, which means the baby would have your physical features. In such case, surrogates do not deliver any genetic material, but just her uterus to carry the baby to term, but no genetic material from her is used for the creation of the embryo.

Best regards

04/25/2016 at 4:59 pm
    • Hello Sandra, even though the eggs and the sperms are ours (mine and my husband’s), could the surrogate pass a severe genetic disorder to our baby during pregnancy? What I’m trying to say is if the surrogate suffers from a certain severe genetic disorder… could that damage our baby???

04/25/2016 at 10:09 am
    • Dear Elizza,

If the reproductive cells (gametes) used are yours, the embryos’ genetic load is not related to that of the surrogate, so in case she suffers from any genetic disorder, it won’t be inherited by your baby.

In this sense, two crucial aspects should be taken into account. On the one hand, it should be clear that surrogates are strictly medically and psychologically screened; therefore, when a candidate suffers from a genetic disorder, she won’t be accepted into the surrogacy program.

On the other hand, it is true to some extent that there are certain genetic or hereditary disorder, or certain habits that could have a negative impact on the fetus and its healthy development. Some examples are certain toxic habits such as tobacco or alcohol consumption, taking certain medications that could damage the baby, etc. Besides, she must be especially careful in relation to the transmission of certain illnesses such as chickenpox when transmitted for the very first time without previous vaccination.

Anyway, surrogates are generally fully medically screening throughout pregnancy in order to prevent these types of diseases. Moreover, they are committed to lead a healthy lifestyle, adapted to pregnancy.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

04/26/2016 at 3:35 pm
  3. Hello. The genetics of the surrogate mother will not influence the baby. If they use your eggs and your husband’s sperm the baby will be related to you. The child born is genetically related to its parents while the surrogate mother has no genetic relation. You have nothing to worry about. Your child will have the same genetic code as if you gave birth to it by yourself. If you don’t believe us you can talk to your doctor. He will answer all your questions. You should be definitely sure that you are ready to make this step. Having a baby is very important. My son was born by the surrogate mother. And he looks exactly like my husband. The same eyes, lips, nose… He is a great boy. We are really glad that we found this medical center. I wish you all the best!

09/11/2017 at 11:04 pm
Leave a reply