Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Having another baby from frozen embryos

Having another baby from frozen embryos

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">clemency planet</span>
    clemency planet

Hi, I hope someone could help me out with my queries. I had my first son a few months ago after a complicated pregnancy… which I finally carried to term, but with great efforts and annoyances… I used donor eggs, but I had already done an IUI and an IVF, both leading to failure, until I got pregnant. Well, I had some spare embryos which I decided to freeze. Today, they are still frozen (of course), but I’d like to know for how long they can remain like that. Is there a limit or something like that? If so, that would mean that I must have my second baby now. I’d have no choice because I’m determined to give my son a brother, but I’d prefer to do it later, when he’s a bit older. Anyway, what do you recommend? Should I wait or should I go for my second baby NOW?

02/28/2016 at 12:38 pm
  2. Dear clemency,

frozen embryos can remain cryopreserved for an unspecified period of time, until you need them. Thus, you can wait as long as you consider necessary to defrost and having them transferred. In other words, you can wait a little bit to have your second child if that’s what you wish.

However, my personal opinion (even though you haven’t mentioned your age) is that you don’t wait too much, since even though age is not a determining factor as regards your uterine capacity, it is true that carrying a pregnancy to term is easier when you are younger. Anyway, it is a very personal decision in which embryo freezing doesn’t have an influence, since thawing the embryos sooner or later won’t reduce their survival rate.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/17/2016 at 8:34 am
Leave a reply