Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How are eggs retrieved from ovaries?

How are eggs retrieved from ovaries?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Nicole Fox</span>
    Nicole Fox

Hello, I’ve various questions regarding egg donation. You see, I’ve read you have to self-administer ovulation induction hormones, and they are administered subcutaneously. I’ve no problem with that, but what worries me is how are eggs retrieved once they’re mature enough to be picked up. I’ve read somewhere the gynecologist retrieves them with a needle, being directly shot in your ovary… How painful is it? How long does it take for the needle to reach the ovary? Will I have a scar?

03/11/2016 at 10:38 am
  2. Dear Nicole,

For eggs to be collected, the first step is performing a procedure called “follicular puncture”. It is a surgical procedure in which general anesthesia is used, so that the egg donor doesn’t feel anything. Watching how are the eggs retrieved is only possible through ultrasound scan.

This is the reason why it is a transvaginal ultrasound-guided follicle puncture and requires the usage of a puncture needle. The needle has to cross the vaginal walls in order to reach the ovary and this way aspirating the eggs. The gynecologist will shot each one of your ovarian follicles in order to aspirate the eggs they contain, together with follicular fluid (FF).

Finally, the eggs will be placed in test tubes and taken to the laboratory, where the eggs will be prepared for later use. This procedure may leave you a small scar, but it usually disappears shortly afterwards.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/30/2016 at 10:49 am
Leave a reply