Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How can I get pregnant with twins?

How can I get pregnant with twins?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Lizzie</span>
    Lizzie

Hi! I’d like to have a twin pregnancy, and my husband too. We are about to start our AI cycle but we still haven’t scheduled a particular date. Is there any chance that I can get a twin pregnancy? Any special treatment or something? And the most important… are we allowed to choose that? or conversely doctors won’t help? Those of you with twins, how did you manage to have them? Was it naturally? I’m sorry to have to ask you all these questions, but we are very worried. Besides, is it possible to have a boy and girl at the same time? Thank you very much!!!

09/17/2015 at 6:28 pm
  2. Dear Lizzie,

A multiple birth involves a series of risks such as neonatal morbidity and mortality, among many others. Besides, complications may arise during the 9 months of pregnancy as well. Be it naturally or artificially, a multiple birth is not advisable, but especially when undergoing ART, a multiple pregnancy is avoided at all costs by monitoring ovarian hyperstimulation, and that’s why the process is known as “controlled ovarian hyperstimulation” or COS. The aim of COS is avoiding an excessive number of eggs to be produced.

However, if you undergo AI (artificial insemination), the production of more than a single oocyte is possible, increasing therefore the chances for a twin pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

Best regards.

09/18/2015 at 8:41 am
  3. Hi Sandra and Lizzie,

I understand it is a risky situation, but I’d like to have more than a single child. I mean, assisted reproductive treatments are expensive and it’s been several years until we finally are able to afford it so why can’t I choose what I want? It’s us that are willing to take the risk of having a multiple birth. Who cares?

09/18/2015 at 10:48 am
  4. Hello all. Best of luck to conceiving multiples! If you bring multiples into the world, feel free to join our whatsapp group (not fertility treatment-related, but for any parents of multiples). Link: https://chat.whatsapp.com/HtYyXXePbjR7QsmHQZKaPY

Cheers.

01/26/2017 at 10:44 pm
Leave a reply