Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How common are infertility issues for both men and women?

How common are infertility issues for both men and women?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Michael77</span>
    Michael77

Hello there,

My partner and I are considering having a baby but we’re concerned because I think maybe I am infertile. We’ve been together for 6 years now and we’ve always used condoms, but I’ve to admit that the pull-out method is a common practice for us and I have ejaculated inside her vagina a few times. Although we didn’t want a pregnancy, it has never been a major issue for us so she’s never taken the morning-after pill. But she’s never fallen pregnant!!! Can you believe it? We’re young (27 years old both of us). Now we are actually trying to have a baby as we’ve already settled down… We’ve read a lot about infertility and I’m starting to believe I may be infertile (or maybe her, who knows). Do you think it is possible?

04/02/2016 at 4:11 pm
  2. Dear Michael77,

ejaculating inside a woman’s vagina occasionally without protection and not getting pregnant even though she hasn’t taken the morning-after pill does not necessarily mean you suffer from infertility, since it may have been when she wasn’t on her fertile days.

We can suspect that there may be some fertility issue if, after a year of having unprotected sex, you don’t get pregnant. It is estimated that around 15% of couples are unable to conceive due to some fertility problem. After 2 years trying to conceive, 10% of couples don’t achieve pregnancy.

Among couples younger than 39, 20-37% are able to conceive in the first 3 months, but as you may know the woman’s ovarian reserve diminishes over time and especially after age 30, so your chances of getting pregnant decrease quickly every year.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

04/07/2016 at 12:01 pm
Leave a reply