Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How early can you take a pregnancy test after donor insemination?

How early can you take a pregnancy test after donor insemination?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Johanna</span>
    Johanna

Could anybody kindly help me, please? My name is Johanna and I’d like to be a single mom… I did 10 days ago my first attempt with donor insemination (artificial insemination by donor) and the thing is I’m starting to have some symptoms, presumably pregnancy symptoms as I read, because I have bloated stomach as if I’m going to have my period, but I feel kind of different as usually when I’m about to have it, that’s why I think I could be pregnant luckily 😀 I did a pregnancy test this morning but it was a BFN 🙁 How accurate is it? Should I take a blood pregnancy test? Thanks!

11/05/2015 at 10:03 am
  2. Dear Johanna,

Thank you very much for getting involved in our forum. This question is very interesting for every woman who reads us, so I’ll try to give you a detailed explanation.

For a home pregnancy test (HPT) to be accurate, it should be done at least 15 days after artificial insemination (AI). That is what we usually call “two-week wait”, often abbreviated as “2WW” or “TWW”. Be it as it may, if you take the HPT before, you are at risk of getting a false negative result. This is due to the fact that HPTs work by detecting your hCG levels; therefore, if you are at the very early stages of pregnancy, it won’t be able to detect it since hCG levels will be still too low. The same applies for blood pregnancy tests, although they are more accurate than HPTs.

The symptom you’ve mentioned is included within the most common symptoms that every woman feels during the 2WW after an assisted reproductive treatment (See also Symptoms after embryo transfer). However, these symptoms can indicate that pregnancy has occurred, in which case they may be due to embryo implantation (See also Embryo implantation symptoms). But they can be due to the hormone medications you are taking, without it meaning that you are pregnant. In conclusion, the only possible way to clarify all your doubts is waiting during the 2WW and then doing the pregnancy test.

The following articles might be of interest as well:

IUI with donor sperm: definition, process and success rates
    After artificial insemination (AI)

Wishing you all the best 😉

11/06/2015 at 12:10 pm
  3. I had an iui done. I am on day 11 so i decided to do a 6 day early pregnancy test and it came up negative, could I still be pregnant even though it came up negative? should I have waited until the 14th day to get the true results or would it even matter?

09/08/2017 at 6:13 pm
    • Hello Amanda,

Day 11 is still a bit early to take a pregnancy test – remember that the 2ww is called “two-week wait” for a reason: 15 days is the reasonable period of time experts recommend that you should wait before taking a pregnancy test after IUI.

My advice is that you repeat the test again on day 15 or 16 to check whether this was a false negative or, unfortunately, you are not pregnant.

Best of luck!

09/12/2017 at 10:00 am
    • Hi so I just did my IuI yesterday and I was wondering do u need to get two of the sperm well vial I mean because we only got one. This is our first time watching

02/23/2018 at 12:10 am
Leave a reply