Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How much time off work is necessary after IVF?

How much time off work is necessary after IVF?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Vickie Aysen</span>
    Vickie Aysen

Hello, I just wanted to ask whether it is necessary for me to take some time off work after my IVF embryo transfer with donor eggs. My problem was low ovarian reserve, but as far as I now I don’t have a tendency toward miscarriage, anyhow I don’t know if it can have some influence on this or not. Is it advisable to take some time off work after an embryo transfer? How much time, up until day 15 post ET? Is bed rest necessary during this period of time?

12/11/2015 at 1:37 pm
  2. Hello Vickie,

It has been proven that rest after IVF embryo transfer, regardless of whether donor eggs or own eggs are used, does not have any impact on success rates. This means that taking time off work is unnecessary. The most advisable for you to do would be continuing with your normal lifestyle, always trying to avoid great efforts such as lifting heavy weight. Bearing this in mind, you can go to work every day as usual.

However, if you wish to take some time off work for your own serenity, that’s a personal decision and you are free to take it. However, bear in mind that rest won’t enhance your chances of getting pregnant. In specific cases where risk of miscarriage is high, your doctor may consider bed rest necessary, in which case he/she will decide whether you have to take some time off work or not.

I hope I have clarified your concerns,

Regards

01/11/2016 at 2:54 pm
  3. Hello just wanted to add a comment here for taking some time off from work. During my successful cycle I took two days off before the transfer and two + weeks off after the transfer to get rest and have a clear mind and have less stress. It all depends on how stressful your work place is and mine happens to be very stressful. Hence, taking some time off really worked well for me me. However, I only stayed in bed the day of transfer and 70% of the following day and the rest of the time I was out shopping and hanging out with family. I was taking it easy the whole time. No heavy lifting, no cooking, no cleaning. Hope this helps.

05/05/2018 at 2:06 am
Leave a reply