Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How to avoid conflicts with the sperm donor

How to avoid conflicts with the sperm donor

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Jeffrey Simpson</span>
    Jeffrey Simpson

Hello there,

A couple of friends used donor sperm recently and they went through a lot because their sperm donor decided later that he wanted to parent the child as his own. I think these is a major disadvantage of known sperm donation, regardless of how many agreements you have signed previously. My wife and I have been recently told the news that we need donor sperm because my semen analysis report states I’ve azoospermia. It’s so damn sad for us, but we’ve no choice and we don’t see parenthood as just sharing your genetic material. I know some people here won’t agree with us. Anyway, could anyone share some tips to avoid this kind of conflicts when using donor sperm, eggs or whatever?

Thank you very much,

xx

05/16/2016 at 1:52 pm
  2. Hello Jeffrey,

Well, conflicts in third-party reproduction are likely to appear, and this is the reason why agreements have to be signed previously. Of course, problems can arise at a moment’s notice, and for this reason, the ASRM has established a series of guidelines to precisely avoid such conflicts.

First of all, it is highly important to be informed. This tip applies to everyone involved, that is, physician(s), intended parents, donors, attorneys, and agencies. All of them must read the consent formas and agreements in full detail. Being honest and forthcoming about your califications and expectations as a donor or recipient is also crucial.

In this sense, it is only logical to state that you must express your concerns, whatever they are. It is important to bring them up early in the process. If necessary, keep an open dialogue with your physician, especially if s/he learns about any medical problems with the donor that may complicate the process. Physicians involved are expected to tell the IP(s) everything needed to ensure a healthy pregnancy.

Finally, it is always essential to use experienced and licensed professionals.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

05/16/2016 at 1:59 pm
Leave a reply
You might also like