Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
ICSI if using donor eggs?

ICSI if using donor eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Hannah Preston</span>
    Hannah Preston

Hello, how are you?

Well, this is my first attempt with donor eggs, but my second IVF cycle… I’ve already done an IVF cycle using my own eggs with no luck due to my low ovarian reserve… It was a complete mess, so we were recommended to move to donor eggs and here we are hehehe The first time we did an ICSI (not conventional IVF), so I’d like to find out whether we will need ICSI this time too despite using donor eggs, because as far as I know, they are of high quality, am I right?

I think the results of my husband’s last semen analysis may be of interest to give me a reply, so there it goes:

– Volume: 2.5 ml
    – Concentration: 1.2 million/ml
    – Sperm progressive motility: 38%
    – Sperm vitality: 75%
    – Sperm morphology: 10% normal sperm morphology

11/22/2015 at 4:07 pm
  2. Hello Hannah,

The ART called “ICSI” (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) is about selecting under microscope a single sperm and inserting it directly into the egg. It is a more advanced subtype of conventional IVF, in which the sperm is inserted manually into the egg, while in conventional IVF egg and sperm are left together, waiting for fertilization to occur. ICSI is indicated in cases of sever male factor, where performing a conventional IVF is not possible since not even the minimum values are reached.

According to the results of your partner’s semen analysis, sperm concentration is under reference values; in other words, it shows a case of oligospermia. With such values, the minimum sperm concentration value of 3 million sperm/ml is not enough, and that’s why the indicated technique in this case is ICSi instead of IVF, regardless of the procedence of the eggs (donor eggs or own eggs).

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

11/30/2015 at 4:50 pm
Leave a reply