Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Impact of egg donation on offspring

Impact of egg donation on offspring

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Michelle cruz</span>
    Michelle cruz

Is there any study or research available about the mental state of children born by egg donation? I’m currently writing my final dissertation and it could be very helpful for me! It is about the psychological impact of fertility care on offspring… What interests me the most is whether children born by egg donation can develop some kind of menta issue during childhood, a reactive attachment disorder or something like that. Thnx!

05/18/2016 at 10:34 am
  2. Dear Michelle,

In principle, studies on the impact of third-party reproduction on offspring conclude that children born via egg donation develop equally to children born by any other fertility treatment or natural conception in terms of emotional, intelectual, and physical development.

The origin of the eggs doesn’t affect the unborn child’s emotional status. What can actually cause future psychological problems on the baby is the fact of telling them thy were conceived using donor eggs. There is evidence that children whose parents do not tell them they were conceived using the eggs of a woman other than his mother, but end up finding it out as teens or preteens, tend to reject or feel deceived over time.

For this reason, the general recommendation is not to hide that they were actually conceived via egg donation, but rather explaining how they were conceived and the origin of the eggs her mother used to get pregnant.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

05/24/2016 at 10:31 am
Leave a reply