Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is frozen sperm as good as fresh for ICSI treatment?

Is frozen sperm as good as fresh for ICSI treatment?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Dark Horse</span>
    Dark Horse

Hello, I’m starting my IVF with ICSi cycle in about 3 weeks. I mean, I will start with ovulation induction drugs in 3 weeks, and then follow the common steps for IVF. According to my doctor, follicular puncture would be in about 1 month. The problem is, my husband is traveling to Germany in a few weeks because of business and he will stay there for like 2 months or something like that.

Our clinic told us that we have 2 options on the table: delaying the treatment till he’s back or cryopreserving his semen sample. If we chose the second option, the sample will be defrosted once my eggs are retrieved so that they can be fertilized in the IVF lab. This option is very helpful as this way the treatment wouldn’t have to be delayed, but I wouldn’t like his sperm to be frozen. We can’t wait to have a baby, but sperm freezing is not my cup of tea… Because with sperm freezing, the quality of the semen sample diminishes. What if I don’t get pregnant because of this? We have an appointment in 2 days and still haven’t come to a decision.

02/17/2016 at 10:02 am
  2. Dear Dark Horse,

even though it is true that sperm freezing may have an negative impact on sperm, the reduction is so minimal that there is no need to cancel your cycle, and it doesn’t mean your chances are lower. The outcome depends on each particular case and the results obtained after performing a semen analysis (seminogram).

In cases like yours, a “mock” sperm thawing preparation is done in order to check to what extend does sperm freezing have an effect on the quality of the semen sample, this way determining its quality grade.

Thus, my advice is that you make up your mind taking into consideration the sperm values of your husband and the results of the “mock” sperm thawing process. Paying attention to the opinion of the professional team supervising your treatment is essential, since they are the ones who best can foresee your success rates according to the tests and analyses you’ve already undergone.

In any event, the semen sample is not so dramatically affected after the freezing-thawing process, always depending on the particular values of your husband’s sample.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

02/26/2016 at 1:37 pm
Leave a reply