Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is it normal for a newborn to sleep all the time?

Is it normal for a newborn to sleep all the time?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Manda Harris</span>
    Manda Harris

Hello, I just wanted to share my situation with you all, because I’m a first-time mom and I’m kinda confused all the time. When I came across this forum, it’s like he heavens opened! Apart from that, I read some other sites and many parents say their baby is up all night and sleeps all day. In my case, mine sleeps all day too. He’s only 2 weeks old and it’s like if he was never asleep… We can never play games with him or things like that, just see his eyes open when I nurse him, is this normal? I’ve thought about waking up him myself, but then I feel like a bad person and finally don’t do it. I just want to hold by baby all the time, rock him and give love to him, is that a lot to ask?

12/06/2015 at 4:37 pm
  2. Hello Manda,

Firstly, there is no reason to panic: this happens to a great number of first-time moms. Newborns need to get plenty of rest during their first weeks of life, so waking him up is not advisable. Sooner or later you’ll see that he sleeps less hours than now.

Bear in mind that you have a lifetime ahead of you to love him 🙂

Best wishes

12/22/2015 at 4:52 pm
  3. Manda, I envy you so much! Enjoy the time if you can sleep during the nights and have enough rest! Me and my husband are switching and having the shifts to look after our baby. She is so noisy and does not sleep at all. Especially, when we do and exhausted af. 5 I would love to have a bit calmer and less energetic baby. There is definitely no reason to worry about. Get some rest and let the baby rest for good. Do not overthink it, but be happy to have time to sleep

07/08/2017 at 2:21 am
Leave a reply