Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is it normal to have one ovary bigger than the other?

Is it normal to have one ovary bigger than the other?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Dee Dee</span>
    Dee Dee

Hello, I’m from Portsmouth, VA and I’ve been following you for a while because as many other women I’ve been TTC for one year and a half but still no luck…

I’ve seen my gynecologist many times but he keeps on telling me everything’s okay, that I’m a super healthy woman. The only problem is that my left ovary is 20% larger than the right one, but my periods are OK and my hormone levels too.

But I can’t keep calm ever since, I mean, maybe it is why I can’t get pregnant, what do you think? My fertility clinic asked my partner to undergo a semen analysis. Is it normal? Help!

08/30/2015 at 7:46 pm
  2. Dear Dee Dee,

Many women have one ovary bigger than the other. As long as there’s no huge difference, there’s no reason to worry, and even more so if your doctor says it’s okay. But I suggest that you consult your physician again if that helps you remain calm.

If you’ve been trying to conceive for over a year and you aren’t pregnant yet, maybe there’s some fertility problem. That’s the reason why your doctor suggested that your partner undergoes a semen analysis (seminogram). That’s the only way you are able to check whether everything is working as it should or not. What is clear is that you’ve been TTC enough time to be pregnant by now, so maybe you need some help.

Good luck!

08/31/2015 at 9:56 am
  3. Hello, I’m Akela from Hawaii, USA and I suffer from PCOS. My left ovary measures 11.42 “ and the right one is 15.75 “…is it normal or not?

08/31/2015 at 12:03 pm
  4. Hi there, I’m 43 years old. In my case, it is the left ovary that gets painful because it’s constantly being impacted by a fibroid. The right ovary is the largest, but it’s painless. To be precise: left ovary is 2.4 x 2.3 cm, while left is 4.0 x 4.3cm… There’s a huge difference as you see. However I’ve read Sandra’s reply and also found info somewhere else and have come to the conclusion my ovaries are within normal size ranges… right? But it doesn’t make sense to me, because as far as I now they should be equal size, shouldn’t they? I’ve considered removing them not because their size, but because I’ve a strong family history of heart disease. My doctor said there’s no need and I’d be better of with them because menopause makes HRT increase and there’s the risk of stroke. In conclusion, I think I’ve two options right now: taking my right left ovary despite doctor’s advice that I should keep it, or leave both of my ovaries and have them monitored twice a year to check their size. What do you think, gurls?

03/31/2016 at 4:21 pm
    • CloudyGirl, let me tell you my story as I believe it may be of interest for you, judging by what you said. I was 45 when I had my surgery done… My situation was quite similar to yours and doc neither wanted me to remove my ovaries, but after I while I ended up making up my mind, so I followed her advice and decided to keep them both. Doc said I was going to have a few good years with them! So I went for bi-annual sonograms every year and she said in the very moment she found something strange, I would be immediately sent for surgery. And it happened, so I had them removed finally. It took a while for them to shut down, but luckily everything is back to normal now! My kind of surgery was a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH), but it depends on the case. Many women are advised to undergo TVH. Just ask your doctor. Today I’m very glad i did it because it wasn’t that painful and it’s better than having the constant pain I had been having all my life. Best wishes!!!!

04/04/2016 at 10:09 am
  5. Girls, if I were you, I’d certainly wait for natural menopause to start!!!!! There’s no need for surgery unless it is a life-threatening issue… The pain on my left ovary is killing me, but I’d rather wait…

04/05/2016 at 4:33 pm
  6. Hello Sandra, can you help me? I’m only 18 years old and my right ovary is larger than the left. I’ve always been like that, since I was a child I mean. This has always been an issue for me, especially now that I’m getting older and am thinking of pregnancy and all that stuff. Could someone give me a few answers? I’ve normal periods and don’t experience pain or something like that as some of you have said… Just want to have more information for the record. TIA

04/07/2016 at 9:38 am
    • Dear ophelia,

I assume that you have had an ultrasonography done showing that your ovaries have different sizes, have you? Anyhow, having one ovary larger than the other is a common thing among the majority of women.

You shouldn’t be concerned, just assume that you were born that way. The human body is not perfect and is usually somewhat lop-sided. It usually happens with breasts, too. Have you checked your breast size? Maybe they are different sizes as well.

However, if the biggest ovary is very large, then it may be a cyst, in which case an ultrasound or an MRI scan could help determine what is going on there or whether you should be concerned or not. If it were a cyst, then surgery may be necessary.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

04/10/2016 at 10:42 am
    • Thank you Sandra, that’s a very kind reply!! Very encouraging. I’ll have them checked soon.

04/11/2016 at 8:39 am
  7. What, have you asked this question to Dr? Yes. Your gynec said that all is okay, so why are taking so much of stress? It’s not good for health.

04/11/2016 at 6:54 am
  8. Hello ladies and doc, you’re all talking about both ovaries, but what if your uterus is larger than one of your ovaries? I’ve an endometrioma in my left ovary and that’s the reason why my left ovary is bigger. Besides, I’ve a 4 cm fibroid on the front of my uterus.

Gyn says I should have my ovary and my tube removed 🙁 Besides I’ll have to undergo various myomectomies I’m just 28 years old and really frightened…Can you tell me something about this kind of surgery? Is there any other way?

TIA

04/11/2016 at 12:14 pm
    • Dear Kathy B.,

with endometriomas, a possible solution is surgery, that’s right. However, it is not the only option and is not always advisable, it depends on their measurement, location…

Thus, it should be your doctor you decides according to what is shown through ultrasound scan.

Best regards

04/11/2016 at 12:21 pm
    • Hiya Sandra,

Last year my ob/gin said my right ovary was bigger than the left one… She said there’s no reason why it should be painful or to experience symptoms… But I’ve been experiencing pain during sexual intercourse for 5 months now, wondering if there may be a connection between them, is is possible?

Thank you very much

09/04/2016 at 12:03 pm
    • Dear Nikkitamie,

Depending on the case, an enlarged ovary may be accompanied by symptoms in other parts of the body. Experiencing dyspareunia or pain during sexual intercourse is linked to an enlarged ovary, yes. Other symptoms may be: abdominal pain, difficulty urinating, abnormal vaginal bleeding… If it grows large enough to put pressure on the bladder, it may make it difficult for you to expel urine.

However, having an enlarged ovary is rarely a serious condition. My advice is that you have it checked again and ask your gynecologist for further help.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

09/05/2016 at 10:22 am
    • Thank you Sandra, I’ll make an appointment and see how it goes. Wish me good luck! To be honest, I’d like to hear other women’s stories… experience is the best way to learn.

09/05/2016 at 1:43 pm
Leave a reply