Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is it possible to undertake altruistic surrogacy in the USA?

Is it possible to undertake altruistic surrogacy in the USA?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Laura Friedman</span>
    Laura Friedman

Hello, my hubby and I need a surrogate mother to have a baby, but we’ve literally no money, we’re totally broke. We’ve been saving for years but we cannot afford they payment surrogates are usually given and that’s why we are wondering if anyone can tell us if it is possible to find a woman willing to carry our baby freely, and voluntarily without expecting an economic payment. I’ve heard some countries such as Australia only allow altruistic surrogacy. Thank you very much for your help.

04/23/2016 at 10:28 am
  2. Dear Laura,

Yes, it is possible, but the truth is, it is difficult—but not impossible—to find surrogates willing to carry your baby and go compensation free, since it’s not the common practice.

Within the USA, however, the legal situation for surrogacy varies greatly from state to state, and its legal issues fall under state jurisdiction. While some states have written legislation, others have developed common law regimes for dealing with surrogacy issues. Some of them penalize commercial surrogacy, others facilitate surrogacy contracts, etc.

Surrogacy-friendly states tend to force commercial and altruistic surrogacy contracts, while at the same time facilitating ways for the intended parents to be recognized as the child’s legal parents. Such states are typically Arkansas, California, New Hampshire, Maryland, and Illinois.

Learn more: Surrogacy in the USA – Is It Legal in All 50 States?

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

04/26/2016 at 4:11 pm
Leave a reply