Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is obesity the reason why I need donor eggs?

Is obesity the reason why I need donor eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">eve weston</span>
    eve weston

Hello,

I just have two questions, if you could give me a quick response, I’d appreciate it! Here you go:

a) Is it possible that the main reason why I have no choice but to use donor eggs is my high weight, which is close to obesity?
    b) If I could lose weight, could I achieve pregnancy using my own eggs?

Thanks,

Regards

12/06/2015 at 9:07 pm
  2. Dear Eve,

Obesity is indeed related to female fertility problems. The truth is, it is increasingly becoming one of the most common causes for female infertility. High weight alters hormone levels, an imbalance that can have an impact on your menstrual cycle, ovarian maturation, etc. Besides, despite the main problem is the one I’ve just mentioned, you should bear in mind that it could also hinder embryo implantation to the uterus or even cause pregnancy problems that may prevent you to carry a full-term pregnancy.

What does this mean? Let me explain you why donor eggs may not be the solution either. Many cases of women who are unable to use their own eggs due to obesity and move to donor eggs find problems getting pregnant as well because obesity not only reduces odds of achieving a natural pregnancy but also IVF success rates.

Many women who experience a 5-15% reduction in their weight see how they have recovered their normal ovarian function and therefore have achieved pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

12/22/2015 at 5:59 pm
Leave a reply