Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Is surgery an option for the treatment of azoospermia?

Is surgery an option for the treatment of azoospermia?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Andrea newman</span>
    Andrea newman

Hello, my partner did a seminogram last week and the result says “zero sperm count”. My question is if this could be treated with surgery… I think it’s this would be our last chance to have biological children instead of donor-conceived babies… Many thanks for everything.

02/12/2016 at 11:08 am
  2. Dear Andrea,

the answer to this questions depends on the type of azoospermia your partner has been diagnosed with. There are two types: obstructive azoospermia, where the testicles still produce sperm but there is some sort of blockage that hinders the pass of the sperm after ejaculation; non-obstructive azoospermia, where spermatogenesis is compromised.

If yours is a case of obstructive azoospermia, depending on each case the location of the blockage, surgery may be an option, yes. In case after surgery the semen analysis showed that the normal values are recovered, achieving a natural pregnancy could be achieved. Conversely, if this option is unfeasible, a testicular biopsy could be done as well, this way rescuing the amount of sperm available in the testicle and go for an IVF cycle.

But, if no sperm are found even with a testicular biopsy, as it usually happens with non-obstructive azoospermia, I am afraid you may have no choice but to use donor sperm.

My advice is that you visit an expert so that you can have your case analyzed thoroughly in order to know which type of azoospermia your partner is suffering from, as well as which fertility options you have.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

02/19/2016 at 10:36 am
Leave a reply