Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Positive pregnancy test 6 weeks after abortion

Positive pregnancy test 6 weeks after abortion

1. cxmx
    cxmx

I took the test as directed 3 weeks after my medical abortion and the test was negative. It is now 6 weeks and 5 days since abortion, I haven’t had my period since the abortion and I have had sex. I took a test today and it came up as positive. Is there a chance I am pregnant again?

03/26/2018 at 5:25 pm
  2. Dear cxmx,

Yes, you may be pregnant again. A woman can get pregnant again as early as 2 weeks after an abortion. In other words, you can get pregnant as soon as you ovulate again. In 6 weeks, it’s likely that you have ovulated. If you have had unprotected intercourse, then you might be pregnant. Visit your doctor to see what are your options now.

If you don’t want to get pregnant accidentally, you should use a birth control method. There are many types of methods as you can see here: Types of Birth Control Methods.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/26/2018 at 6:02 pm
    • Thanks for the reply! Is it possible that it’s just left over hcg? Or will this have gone back to normal by now?

03/26/2018 at 6:09 pm
    • Hello again,

Although it is true that after an abortion women still get a positive pregnancy test for a few weeks even if no embryo is growing, I’d say 6 weeks is a reasonable timeframe for hCG levels to have returned to zero, especially taking into account that you can ovulate as soon as 2 weeks after the abortion. In any case, my advice is that you visit your doctor and take a blood pregnancy test and then repeat it after 48 hours. If the levels of beta hCG hormone double every 48 hours, then it means that you’re pregnant.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/27/2018 at 8:36 am
    • Hi could I have some advice ? So basically 5 weeks ago I had the pill abortion at home pretty sure I passed the pregnancy, but 3 weeks ago while I was still bleeding I had unprotected sex , I’m still bleeding from 5 weeks ago but getting positive pregnancy results saying 2-3 weeks pregnant, could I be pregnant or has the abortion not been successful

07/30/2022 at 11:26 pm
  3. Yes, you may be a pregnant again that’s why it is recommended to avoid sexual intercourse for few weeks after a medical abortion.

05/07/2018 at 12:36 pm
  4. Hi doctor
    So I had an abortion 6 weeks ago and I have had sex a couple of times after the abortion and two days ago I took a test and it came out positive and I took another yesterday and that too came out positive and so I called the clinic where I got my abortion and they had me come in today so the made me give urine and they did a vaginal and said the pee test came out positive and the vaginal camera came out negative but she said my hcg was of 2500 so I’m confused and i pregnant or is that hormones. Should I go to the ER

09/08/2018 at 1:44 am
Leave a reply