Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
IVF success for 0 percent morphology

IVF success for 0 percent morphology

1. Olive
    Olive

Hello,

My husband has 0% morphology, with all other sperm parameters within normal range. Many of the sperm are tapered head and missing an acrosome.The urology consultation could not offer us an explanation for the poor morphology.

We have had one natural conception with a miscarriage at 8 weeks, the cause was revealed as Turner Syndrome, a missing cromosome.

Since the miscarriage one year ago we have not become pregnant again. We have seen a reproductive endocrinologist who has done HSG on me to show tubes are clear and advises we do IVF. I have pcos with irregular periods and test have shown ovulation is happening.

Can you please give some advice? I am concerned the IVF would also cause a pregnancy with miscarriage, or a birth defect, because of the poor morphology + pcos. I am 32 and husband is 36.

Please advise.

Thank you kindly,
    Olive

11/28/2017 at 7:13 am
  2. Dear olive,

Thanks for submitting your question. Well, first of all, even though you’ve undergone IVF already, there is still some risk of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or fetal malformations as a consequence, given that your husband has severe teratozoospermia.

To ensure that it does not happen, you should have undergone IVF with PGD (Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis), which allows you to make sure that the embryos chosen are fully healthy. See also: What is PGD?

However, given that you are pregnant now, my recommendation is that you undergo an amnio test (amniocentesis) to insure that everything is right and the fetus is developing as expected.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

11/28/2017 at 1:06 pm
Leave a reply