Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
IVF side effects: heightened sense of smell and other symptoms

IVF side effects: heightened sense of smell and other symptoms

1. Lisa
    Lisa

Hello,

I’m on my 2nd IVF cycle after my 1st failed. We did my retrieval Tuesday 11/17. On Friday 11/20 we transferred our only serving embryo. I haven’t noticed any similar symptoms to my failed attempt. This time around I have had abdominal swelling, I’m constantly hungry and thirsty. I’m craving sweets… mainly ice cream. I am running to the restroom constanly. I’ve had a difficult time staying asleep. I sometimes feel little twitches about the area of my upper bladder lower abdomen. Yesterday my husband made coffee and I thought he was burning popcorn, and this morning his cologne was way too powerful. I usually love his cologne. Are these more likely side effects? I’ve had no spotting yet. My first time I had a brownish smear about 2 days in.

11/24/2015 at 6:18 pm
  2. Hello Analisa,

Today is day 5 post embryo transfer, which means it is still too early to take a pregnancy test. After embryo transfer, pregnancy tests should be taken not earlier than 15 days post embryo transfer; however, if it was a blastocyst embryo transfer, you can do it on day 10 and you will get an accurate result.

As for the symptoms you’ve described above, do not panic, since they are totally common. I suggest you take a look at the following article, especially at the comments, since they may be very helpful in your case: Symptoms after embryo transfer.

Best wishes

11/25/2015 at 12:22 pm
  3. Hi, I’m adding a couple of words as for ”other symptoms”. We should always keep realistic about the treatments outcomes. That’s why it’s useful to be aware of possible complications along with treatments benefits. Complications of infertility treatment may include: Multiple pregnancy. The most common complication of infertility treatment is a multiple pregnancy – twins, triplets or more. Generally, the greater the number of fetuses, the higher the risk of premature labor and delivery, as well as problems during pregnancy such as gestational diabetes. Babies born prematurely are at increased risk of health and developmental problems. Talk to your doctor about ways to prevent a multiple pregnancy before you begin treatment. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Fertility medications to induce ovulation can cause OHSS, in which the ovaries become swollen and painful. Symptoms may include mild abdominal pain, bloating and nausea that lasts about a week, or longer if you become pregnant. Rarely, a more severe form causes rapid weight gain and shortness of breath requiring emergency treatment. Bleeding or infection. As with any invasive procedure, there is a rare risk of bleeding or infection with assisted reproductive technology. Also shattered emotional well being which needs to be corrected by all means.

05/24/2019 at 11:52 am
  4. Hi there. The former post is yrs old. So I’m praying the author has been currently yrs prego)
    I just wanna say the following. In general, the symptoms of IVF pregnancy resemble the symptoms of natural pregnancy. But those with IVF may be more conscious to these side effects. Since they know they’re carrying a child from the beginning. And for most natural pregnancies, women don’t realize they’ve conceived for about a month. This sense of awareness may also cause anxiety and stress. Especially in those worried about maintaining a healthy pregnancy. Keep in mind that fertility medications, which are used to stimulate egg production before the IVF procedure may also have side effects. And those in their turn can resemble pregnancy symptoms. These include headaches, abdominal pain, mood swings, bloating, and hot flashes. While these symptoms aren’t usually cause for concern, they may rarely be a result of OHSS. This is an uncommon condition that occurs from excess egg production. One should visit a doctor if you experience severe weight gain, abdominal pain and swelling, nausea, shortness of breath, and dizziness. Just take good care of yourself ALWAYS!

08/16/2019 at 9:02 am
Leave a reply