Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Marijuana, pregnancy and male infertility

Marijuana, pregnancy and male infertility

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">nicky jones</span>
    nicky jones

Hello,

Since some time ago, my boyfriend and I have been thinking of how happy we’d be if we had a child. Besides, despite being too young, we would be luckily able to raise him or her and provide him with a good life, because my boyfriend’s got a steady job and I’ve already finished my degree).

But the only problem is that we both consume cannabis (marijuana) regularly, we’ve been doing it for 7 years now I think. But since we want to have a child, we are committed to quit our vices (both marijuana and cigarettes). The problem is we tried but we couldn’t… whenever we quit smoking for a month, we get desperate so we start smoking eventually and so on time and again.

So now we are thinking of reducing the consumption but not fully quitting because we just can’t. We’d like to know whether it is actually that detrimental for the fetus, how much the fetus will be affected and which are the recommendations in these cases. Apart from that, I’m 17 so I’d like to know if pregnancy is riskier if a girl is that young and why.

Thanks in advance.

09/18/2015 at 1:55 pm
  2. Hi Nicky,

Several studies prove both tobacco and marijuana consumption may have a negative impact on male and female fertility, hindering therefore the chances of getting pregnant.

For instance, marijuana consumption during pregnancy may cause serious problems in the fetus, including poor growth or even prematurity, especially among habitual users.

In addition, it may cause problems in the baby even after childbirth as well, since he or she may develop withdrawal symptoms such as chills, physical sickness or excessive crying. In most severe cases, the baby also develops sleep deficiency and general problems adjusting to life itself.

As regards your age, if you think you are both mentally and financially prepared to be on motherhood at age 17, then go on. But, again, the best recommendation I can give you so that you have a healthy, happy child is that you stop consuming any type of drug. It’s not only good for your baby, but also for you both and your fertility.

Wishing you all the best.

09/21/2015 at 9:21 am
    • Hello!

I just have two questions, let me mention them hereunder:

1. Do men that quit marijuana or tobacco consumption recover their fertility at 100%?
      2. If the answer to the previous question is YES, then how soon does it take?

Now I’ll exhibit my particular case:

My partner has been a marijuana consumer for over 24 years -I think he was 14 when he started. But now we want to become parents, since we are 35. I have never ever consumed cannabis or tobacco, but we’ve been TTC for more than a year and still nothing. I’ve been reading too many articles and everything brings me onto the point that it is because of his marijuana addiction. In case we achieve pregnancy at some point, do you think the baby will develop any genetic disorder or some illness? I’m preoccupied.

Cheers!

09/21/2015 at 9:32 am
    • Hello Miranda,

The answer to your 1st question is yes indeed. Men can fully recover their fertility because they are constantly producing sperm. However, you should wait at least 3 months, since that is the minimum time that sperm need to detoxify. If this detoxifying period passes, in principle the baby won’t develop any problem or side effect.

Cheer up!

09/21/2015 at 12:39 pm
Leave a reply