Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
My sperm didn’t survive the freezing process

My sperm didn’t survive the freezing process

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">James Moss</span>
    James Moss

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I did all the medical tests to qualify as a sperm donor. The first test showed excellent results, or at least that’s what I’ve been told. For that test, my abstinence duration was 3 days. As I said, the test showed 290 million sperm, with normal sperm concentration… but the problem is they couldn’t survive the freezing process, so I had a second test done. This time the semen sample showed 320 million sperm per milliliter and the sperm concentration was even better despite being in the same conditions than the first one. Moreover, I was told it was one of the best semen samples they’ve ever analyzed… However, my semen sample was again unable to survive the freeze, or at least the minimum amount of sperm required to qualify as a sperm donor. I can’t understand what’s happening, since I’m a healthy man, I’m young, I don’t smoke or drink alcohol, and I do lots of sports… and I don’t think I don’t follow a balanced diet, since I try to eat every kind of food… My questions therefore are 1) what could be the reason behind it?, 2) what could I do or take so that my sperm is able to survive the freezing process?

Thank you very much

10/24/2015 at 10:41 am
  2. Dear James,

The truth is that your case can be considered to be very rare, since when the seminogram shows that the semen sample is of optimal quality in every respect, usually the sperm are able to survive the freezing/thawing process.

As I said, your case is so rare and even surprising that I actually don’t know how to answer your question accurately, since usually a good quality sample translates into sperm able to survive the freezing process.

I’m sorry I could not be of more help on this occasion

10/26/2015 at 3:07 pm
Leave a reply