Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Natural BFP after 1st failed IVF… I am in disbelief!

Natural BFP after 1st failed IVF… I am in disbelief!

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">alaskaBFPyes</span>
    alaskaBFPyes

Hello, I’m scared because I’ve just gotten a BFP naturally after many fertility treatments, can you believe it!? I’m pregnant finally… After our first IVF cycle, we got an ectopic pregnancy, so I lost my frat twin babies and that’s why now I’m afraid I’m going to miscarry, is it possible? Anyone in the same situation could help me ease my mind?

Thnxs!

12/08/2015 at 12:27 pm
  2. Dear alaskaBFPyes,

The average likelihood of having another ectopic pregnancy is about a one in 10 risk. However, from a positive point of view, you should take into account you have a nine out of 10 chance of not having another ectopic pregnancy.

Many women ask themselves if having an ectopic pregnancy will affect their future fertility, and the answer is that it may do, but it depends mainly on the health of your fallopian tubes or, if you have had one of them removed, the health of the remaining one.

The following circumstances make an ectopic pregnancy more likely to happen:

• 1. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), commonly caused by chlamydia.
    • 2. Abdominal surgery, such as your appendix being removed, surgery on your fallopian tubes (e.g. sterilization reversal), or a cesarean section.
    • 3. Pregnancy via IVF treatment.
    • 4. Contraceptive intrauterine device (IUD).
    • 5. Contraceptive mini-pill.
    • 6. Previous ectopic pregnancy.

If the cause of your ectopic pregnancy was a previous PID, for instance, it may have some impact on your fertility. But if you still have one healthy fallopian tube, there is no reason why you can’t conceive again and carry the pregnancy to term, because you can still ovulate. Six out of 10 women that go through an ectopic pregnancy are able to become pregnant again and, what’s more, have a successful pregnancy.

As for the risk of having another ectopic pregnancy, it also depends on the type of surgery you had and whether there’s some underlying damage to your tube or tubes. Anyhow, there is a little you can do now to prevent it from happening in the future, since as you can see it is related to past damage to the fallopian tubes.

Now that you are pregnant again, it is very important to monitor your pregnancy thoroughly. My advice is that you take an early scan at about 6-7 weeks to check that your pregnancy is going as it should and developing at the right place.

Best wishes

01/08/2016 at 1:00 pm
Leave a reply