Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Oocyte donation for stem cell research

Oocyte donation for stem cell research

1. janelschull
    janelschull

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

I’ve recently seen some ads calling women for egg donation, not for reproductive purposes, but for stem cell research… I’m interested, I’ve always wanted to help the scientific community make new advancements, and this is an opportunity for me to do it! Do you know what are the advantages?

I haven’t found too much literature about it, and I find it quite sad… Guessing it’s because women do not get any economic benefit for doing it… that’s why they usually donate for reproductive purposes.

What a selfish world we live in!

Pls, answer my question if possible.

08/31/2016 at 2:45 pm
  2. Dear janel,

Oocyte donation for stem cell research has created a new research concept. Authors have been exploring the ethical issues surrounding this topic, and that’s why the number of studies and research for donors have increased lately.

Ethical concern rises from the fact that oocyte donors differ from traditional research subjects. Donors are exposed to significant risks regardless of what the purposes of the donation are.

To sum up, the donation of eggs for research is different to women donating eggs to help other women have a baby. Firstly, because they to not receive any clinical benefit. For this reason, women are required to sign an informed consent.

I hope this helps,

Best

08/31/2016 at 2:51 pm
Leave a reply