Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS

Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">donationFEM</span>
    donationFEM

Hello, I’m an Asian woman desiring to become an egg donor because there aren’t many colored women out there willing to become so. I know there are plenty of Asian couples, single moms or same-sex couples out there struggling to achieve pregnancy as many other white person. But I think the problem here is that not enough info regarding egg donation in Asia has been spread. But here I am to do so!

Well, as a potential donor I’m concerned with some aspects of the egg donation process, among all my worries there is the risk of developing the OHSS because of all the stimulation of ovarian function medications I have to take… But to what extent is it that risky? How many women develop it on average (if known)?

I look forward to your reply… thanks.

10/02/2015 at 7:07 am
  2. One of the main risks derived from egg donation is the Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome or OHSS. This occurs as a consequence of an excessive stimulation of the ovaries through hormone-based medications. Its typical symptoms are abdominal pain, vomiting, and fluid built up in the abdominal cavity.

We can foresee which women are more prone to develop this syndrome, since it is much more common among young women with a normal ovarian reserve or suffering from PCOS. The problem is that this is the common egg donor profile. Thus, special attention should be paid to this group.

For all these reasons, the amount of medication administered for ovarian stimulation is monitored thoroughly as well as the response of your ovaries by means of ultrasound scan. Thanks to this methods, the risk of developing OHSS today is considered to be low.

10/02/2015 at 11:45 am
    • Hello ladies! Thank you for your support. In my case, egg retrieval is set for 3 weeks from now… and I’m so nervous and frightened. I have never been under anesthesia or sedated, that’s why this is giving me some anxiety. But to be honest I’m mostly scared about OHSS and internal bleeding from the procedure… 🙁

04/08/2016 at 9:48 am
    • Hi infertilitygang, can I ask you what will you be triggering with? Probably you won’t know till you get closer to egg pick-up day because it depends on your estrogen levels… I know most common is a Lupron trigger, but it depends on the case. Good luck, you’ll do great!! 🙂

04/09/2016 at 10:39 am
    • Not sure… but I think it’s Menopur, Antagon and Follistim AQ beta injections…

04/10/2016 at 9:52 am
  3. donationFEM – are you thinking to donate in the UK?

08/06/2018 at 12:41 pm
Leave a reply