Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Refreezing embryos, is it actually possible?

Refreezing embryos, is it actually possible?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">the pursuit of happiness**</span>
    the pursuit of happiness**

Hello, we already have a daughter with IVF and the leftover embryos were frozen in rows of 2, because we were sure we wanted to transfer two each time in order to increase our success rates. However, only one of them implanted. Anyhow, since we already have a daughter, we wouldn’t like twins to arrive, because that would mean having 3 children and that is two much. In conclusion, we would like to do a single-embryo transfer the next time… We are concerned because we don’t know if now we have no choice but to thaw 2 each time or if we could frost them 1 by 1, or if we could refreeze one of them in case we had no choice but to thaw 2 each time. Do you understand? Thank you very much!

02/14/2016 at 8:36 am
  2. Hello,

if the embryos have been frozen in groups of two, I am afraid the option you are suggesting is not feasible, which is to say, only defrosting one of them is not possible. Given that they are stored together, the embryologist has no choice but to thaw both of them and put them in the culture media in order to check whether they’ve survived the freezing-thawing process. In these cases, the most common is choosing that presenting the highest quality the following day. Then, the other one can be refrozen.

There is no problem with embryo refreezing. Of course, there is a chance that they are unable to survive the defrosting process; therefore, the more times they go through it, the higher this chance will be. Nonetheless, chances for success today remain high thanks to improvements made on this method.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

02/22/2016 at 5:22 pm
Leave a reply