Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Risk of spontaneous abortion with donor eggs

Risk of spontaneous abortion with donor eggs

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">EveG.</span>
    EveG.

Hello everyone… I’m from Fairmont, WV… I did 3 fertility treatments using my own eggs last year but unluckily they ended up in failure due to poor ovarian response, so I went through 2 miscarriages, both in the two first weeks of pregnancy. Then I decided to start a donor-egg IVF cycle, but I had again a miscarriage, so I wonder what are the chances of having an spontaneous abortion despite using donor eggs, if it is only my fault or if there are other factors that may cause this sad situation. Please, I need help, I am so desperate I don’t know what to do to have a baby!

11/01/2015 at 4:50 pm
  2. Hello,

In the US, the current spontaneous abortion rate using donor eggs is 13.1%, with little variation by patient (recipient) age. Also among women reporting previous ART attempts and embryo spontaneous abortions, this risk is usually higher, and the same among women that used either Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) or clomiphene.

Be it as it may, the figure shown above suggests that fertility treatments don’t pose a risk for spontaneous abortion, and neither when donor eggs are used. Therefore, in your case, the causes of you spontaneous abortions may be due to various reasons such as uterine anatomical abnormalities, immune factor, coagulation, etc. Poor egg quality is also another cause for spontaneous abortion, but in your case this factor shall be ruled out, since donor eggs are always of optimal quality.

The following articles might be of interest:

Using donor eggs to get pregnant: What process do recipients go through?
    Success rates of IVF and IUI with donor eggs

Hope this helps

11/03/2015 at 5:15 pm
Leave a reply