Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Single embryo transfer and multiple births

Single embryo transfer and multiple births

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Emerald</span>
    Emerald

I need donor eggs to have a baby but I’m sure I just want one baby. I’ve heard most double pushchairs for toddlers you see on the street are because of assisted reproduction… I just want to have a single baby, having two at home would drive me mad… That’s why I’m going to do a SET, regardless of its quality. A relative of mine did an IVF cycle and did a 2-embryo transfer, grade C embryos and now she needs to buy double the diapers for double the kids! That’s why I want to make sure no chance of multiple births exist if I just do a SET, can you help me?

12/07/2015 at 11:06 am
  2. Hello Emerald,

There is an increased incidence of multiple births associated with fertility treatments due to the intake of ovulation enhancing drugs. These kind os medications are prescribed to treatments such as intrauterine insemination (IUI), so that more than a single egg is produced and also for the creation of more than a single embryo in cases of in vitro fertilization (IVF).

Even though experts try at all costs to avoid multiple births, multiple births statistics of fertility treatments are still above those of natural pregnancies.

As for your question, if you are using donor eggs and a single embryo is transferred, there is no possible way that a twin pregnancy develops, so this added risk disappears. There is a little chance that this single embryo may split spontaneously, which would translate into monozygotic or identical twins. Nevertheless, the likelihood of this happening is very small and it is indeed the same as in cases of natural pregnancy.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

12/23/2015 at 8:33 am
    • Hey Sandra…. I’m considering donor egg IVF and some people keep on telling me that there exist too many risks for the donor, but what about the recipient? What are the risks concerning us?

I’m kinda afraid, but at the same time it’s my last chance to have a baby… I’m submitting here some questions, if only you could answer them I’d be very happy! The process works the same as in IVF? What are the risks or dangers? Are there any positive or negative, or both, consequences? Thank You Very Much!

03/29/2017 at 12:47 pm
    • Hi pammy334,

From the receiving woman’s perspective, the number of risks derived from this process are minimal. However, as in any other medical process, they shouldn’t be overlooked.

On the one hand, there is some inconvenience caused by the hormonal treatment used for endometrial preparation, from which the woman might notice a series of symptoms, including tiredness, low-back or abdominal pain, swollen breasts or abundant vaginal discharge.

On the other hand, discomfort caused by the embryo transfer (ET) is normal as well, or even a light bleeding, yet normally these symptoms are not very severe.

Finally, egg donation requires a process of psychological acceptance. If the woman is unable to cope with egg donation, she may end up rejecting the baby once born, just because she doesn’t share her DNA with him/her. If this happens, seeking psychological counseling during the treatment may help you cope with it.

Also, one should note that research has shown that the pregnant woman influences the baby’s epigenetics during pregnancy, that is, it can have an impact on the development of the gene expression in some genes. This means the intended mother is also involved in the genetic information of the baby-to-be despite not being the one who contributed the egg cell.

The main positive consequence of using donor eggs is that, given that the oocytes have been donated by young and healthy girls, they are high-quality ova, which reduces the number of attempts necessary to achieve success.

Read more:
      Using donor eggs
      Pregnancy with donor eggs

I hope this helps,

Regards

03/29/2017 at 1:18 pm
Leave a reply