Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Sperm donation IVF at the NHS

Sperm donation IVF at the NHS

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Aarany</span>
    Aarany

Hi!

we are a heterosexual couple from Great Britain. My husband has azoospermia which is why we will need a sperm donor. We’re looking into a sperm donation IVF at the NHS. Does anyone know how we can get a publicly-funded fertility treatment? We don’t have the means to pay a private fertility clinic.

06/01/2020 at 10:00 am
  2. Hi Aarany,

there are certain requirements to be met in order to get an NHS funded sperm donation IVF. My husband and I didn’t qualify because he already had children from his first marriage.

It also depends on your clinical commissioning group and its fertility policy. They are not obliged to follow the guidelines by the national institute for health and care excellence. This means they have a say about the number of cycles they will fund, the criteria, or if they fund fertility treatments at all.

06/10/2020 at 8:07 pm
  3. Hi girls!!
    I’d like to apply for donor insemination at the NHS. Anyone experience in this matter?

06/19/2020 at 11:03 am
    • Hi MariaH,

According to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), IUI is offered on the NHS if you meet one of the following conditions: 1) you are unable to have vaginal sex; 2) you have a condition that makes it impossible or very difficult for you to conceive; 3) you are in a same-sex relationship.

NHS funding for fertility treatment is limited for everyone and varies across the UK according to the criteria set by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). Until February 2013, no official guidelines existed on what NHS funding should be offered to same-sex couples.

Hope this helps you,

all the best.

06/20/2020 at 10:17 am
    • thanks for your answer! can you recommend clinics that collaborate with the NHS??

06/22/2020 at 7:17 am
  4. Hi MariaH,

if you’re interested in fertility centers in your area, I suggest you have a look at our clinic directory. You’ll get the information necessary in order to choose the clinic that best suits you.

Best wishes

06/22/2020 at 10:20 am
Leave a reply