Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How to treat teratozoospermia… IUI or IVF/ICSI?

How to treat teratozoospermia… IUI or IVF/ICSI?

1. rompak
    rompak

Hello,
    I am 31 years old and I have AMH 1.25 ng/ml and my husband is 41 and his semen analysis report says he has teratozoospermia. But I conceived 2 times before one ended in miscarriage in 8 weeks and first time we did abortion ourself in 10 weeks.But since my last miscarriage its been 8 months I did not conceive again and we did this test and the results are mentioned above. Do you think in our case we can go for IUI or IVF? And do you think my last pregnancy ended because of my husband’s condition? please suggest.
    Thanks in advance.

02/12/2018 at 1:34 pm
  2. Dear rompak,

Your AMH is considered normal according to the level you provided (values between 1-2.9 ng/ml are considered normal). The problem is teratozoospermia, which can reduce your chances of achieving pregnancy depending on the severity. The good news is that men with teratozoospermia can cause a natural pregnancy in a woman provided that parameters such as the sperm count and the sperm motility are not affected.

In mild cases, certain natural remedies can be helpful. First of all, it is important to quit unhealthy habits such as smoking, street drug consumption, alcohol, etc., which can affect the quality of the sperm to a large extent. Following a balanced diet is always helpful to boost a man’s fertility, especially if it includes foods rich in antioxidants and essential amino acids.

If pregnancy is still not achieved and you needed to turn to Assisted Reproduction, IUI may work provided that sperm count and sperm motility are not altered. In cases of moderate or severe teratospermia, the treatment of choice would be IVF/ICSI.

Read: What Is ICSI or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection?

I hope this helps,

Best

02/12/2018 at 3:40 pm
    • Dear Dr,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. We went to one doctor and he also told us the same. Other doctor suggested us to take clomid tablet to conceive. Do you think it works in our case? If you say I can send you our reports. We are very confuse at the moment as the other doctor said that my AMH is low and we should go for IVF as soon as possible. Please suggest.
      thanks

02/25/2018 at 3:33 pm
    • Hello again rompak,

Well, first of all, you should always follow your doctor’s instructions. Once you find a doctor you feel comfortable with, you should stick to his recommendations.

All three options make sense, so it’s up to you now. If you finally decide to go for IVF or want a second opinion, perhaps completing the following questionnaire works for you: IVF Cost Calculator.

I hope this helps,

Best

02/26/2018 at 9:13 am
Leave a reply