Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Supplements for Sperm DNA Fragmentation

Supplements for Sperm DNA Fragmentation

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">DAN</span>
    DAN

I’m a 39 old male and I had been trying to get my girl pregnant for almost four years with three miscarriages when we first made an appointment at a fertility clinic.

After my girl and I had some fertility tests, it came out that I suffer from a severe male factor and my sperm’s DNA is damaged, so my question is: are there any natural supplements to reverse my sperm DNA fragmentation? Or do we need to have sperm donation or artificial insemination?

I’m a little bit overwhelmed by this complex topic. Our doctor told us the next steps but I didn’t understand a thing. Could you please explain in more simple words what our procedure will look like next?

11/01/2020 at 3:00 pm
  2. Hi Dan,

first of all, I’m very sorry for what you’ve been through. I imagine your diagnosis must have been quite of a shock.

However, this doesn’t mean that pregnancy is not possible. In some cases of Sperm DNA fragmentation, you can have a treatment based on antioxidants to improve your sperm quality. Oxidative stress caused by an increased number of free radicals in the man’s organism causes damage to sperm DNA. For this reason, leading a healthy lifestyle and a balanced is key to reduce the levels of sperm DNA fragmentation. Some antioxidants that can boost sperm quality are vitamins C, E, and A, which are found in fruits, vegetables, vegetable oils, brown rice, soy, chocolate, oregano, tea, etc.

Having said that, should your DNA fragmentation be above 30%, it is recommended you go directly for IVF with ICSI treatment. For more information on both Sperm DNA fragmentation and IVF-ICSI I invite you to read these posts: Sperm DNA Fragmentation – Causes & Effect on Fertility and In vitro fertilization with ICSI technique: Process, Success Rates & Costs.

Hope this helps,

All the best.

11/07/2020 at 10:52 am
    • Hi Romina, thank you so much for your answer. My percentage is too high for a natural treatment it seems. But well, we will definitely try one ivf-icsi cycle and see what happens. Keep up the great work!

11/09/2020 at 8:34 am
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum