Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Symptoms after artificial insemination

Symptoms after artificial insemination

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Mary90</span>
    Mary90

It’s 5 days now since I did my second IUI treatment and I’m starting to feel like stomach cramps similar to ovarian pain, is it normal? Apart from that, I’m always running to the bathroom (literally). I’m scared because after my first IUI I didn’t feel such symptoms, that’s why I think it could be either pregnancy or maybe that something went terribly wrong, I mean, if I’m getting sick or something. I’d be glad with some help.

08/26/2015 at 12:58 pm
  2. Dear Mary90,

Feeling some discomfort (similar to pregnancy or menstruation symptoms) after undergoing IUI is totally normal. It is due to the hormone therapy given. However, if the symptoms you’ve described go further, especially the urgent need to go to the toilet, then you should pay attention to them and consult your healthcare provider. It’s very important that you keep hydrated. Drink plenty of water and improve your dietary habits.

I look forward to the result being positive!

08/28/2015 at 1:04 pm
  3. Hello Sandra, can I ask you something? 9 days ago I did an IUI with donor sperm and today I’m feeling nausea, exhaustion and breast soreness. But before these symptoms (around 5 days ago) I started having a bloated stomach. How normal is this? Does it mean I am pregnant? I’ve asked this question to my clinic and they say I must wait until pregnancy test but I’m very anxious… My beta-hCG test is in a few days but I’m feeling kinda anxious. Plz, help me!

04/13/2016 at 3:51 pm
    • Dear Lieselotte,

The symptoms you’ve described may be early pregnancy symptoms, yes. But I’m afraid we won’t be able to confirm that until you take the pregnancy test and get a positive result. Estrogens cause fluid retention and hormone fluctuations that can cause your abdomen to be bloated.

This is not only a common pregnancy symptom, but also a side effect of ovulation induction medications taken before IUI. For these reasons, the symptoms you’re feeling could be also a sign that your menstruation is about to show up. To sum up, those symptoms are not only related to pregnancy, but also to menstruation (aka “premenstrual syndrome” or “PMS).

My advice is, as your fertility clinic said, that you wait till you can take the pregnancy test and try to remain as calm as possible. Try to keep your mind busy with another issues, do some sport, read a book you like, or whatever is entertaining for you. It’s only a few days before you can find out whether you’re pregnant or not!

In the meanwhile, the following article may be of interest: Earliest pregnancy symptoms before you miss your period.

Best wishes!

04/13/2016 at 5:58 pm
  4. Thank you Sandra, I’ll do that!

04/14/2016 at 10:37 am
  5. This was my first try at IUI. I am 10 days post my first try and I don’t feel anything besides some slight cramping. I took a test and it was negative. I’m starting to stress because I see a lot of woman who have symptoms. Any advice

01/31/2017 at 4:58 pm
    • Dear Tsquires90,

Sorry for my delayed response. Guess you already know whether IUI worked or not. Hope it was positive… if not, have you started a new cycle? Let me know if you have any further questions…

Anyways, pregnancy tests done on day 10 post transfer should be quite accurate, although depending on the woman it might be too early yet. Ideally, you should wait 15 days (hence the name “two-week wait“).

Best wishes

03/01/2017 at 12:16 pm
  6. Hey… I’m new to this but I did my first at-home insemination Tuesday and have been feeling like crap. I feel like I have to throw up, head hurts, stomach making noise and cramping in my stomach. What’s going on?

04/14/2017 at 4:52 pm
    • Hello Jaquvia,

Thanks for joining us! If you did AI at home on Tuesday, and on Friday you were feeling all those symptoms, it’s not possible that they’re pregnancy signs, as it was still too early. However, although minimal, it is possible for you to have fallen pregnant.

On the other hand, I’d say it’s likely that you’re experiencing PMS symptoms, a sign that your next period is about to show up.

Finally, the symptoms you’ve described are also related to gastroenteritis or any other gastrointestinal alteration. Anyways, taking into account that today is Tuesday, that means it’s been a week since you did the insemination and a few days since you posted a new comment here, so how are you feeling today?

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

04/18/2017 at 10:37 am
  7. I need some help too I did the insemination at home and it’s been 6 days and I am having some cramps, is it normal?

09/28/2017 at 12:00 am
    • Dear Blanca Maldonado,

Yes, do not worry for this. Having cramps after a fertility treatment is a normal symptom due to the fertility medications you’ve been taking recently.

If it gets worse, my advice is that you ask your doctor for further advice.

I hope this helps,

Best

09/28/2017 at 11:23 am
  8. I done the insemination at home twice while i was ovulating and now almost two weeks later I’m having horrible cramps

02/03/2018 at 7:23 pm
    • Hi mommy24,

Take a pregnancy test. The cramps can be due to embryo implantation, but they can also be signs that your menstrual period is about to start.

Wishing you the best of luck!

02/05/2018 at 8:38 am
  9. Hello, I just had my IUI last Wednesday June 6th with donor sperm. It is my first one and I was not on any fertility drugs. Tonight day 6 I was laying in bed and started cramping and having sharp short pains in my lower stomach. Any idea what this could be?

06/13/2018 at 4:13 am
    • Dear Llg3,

It is difficult to know what these symptoms may be due to, since it could be premenstrual syndrome, if the AI has not worked, or the implantation of the embryo in case of having achieved pregnancy. You will have to wait a little longer to be able to do a pregnancy test and leave doubts.

I hope this helps,

Best regards

04/01/2019 at 3:18 pm
  10. Hello, I did a home insemination with a donor on the 31st of October I started feeling cramping right after but each day has gotten a bit worse than before. I’m really tired, bloated, crampy, moody, I keep running to the bathroom and have really bad migraines. My period doesn’t start up again for two weeks what could this be?

11/04/2019 at 11:25 pm
Leave a reply