Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Transfer of leftover fresh embryos, is it possible?

Transfer of leftover fresh embryos, is it possible?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">MA Renee</span>
    MA Renee

Hello there,

I’ve recently been greatly interested in what you call “embryo adoption” and I find it quite amazing, because it’s like another type of baby adoption… It’s just so nice that science is moving forward so fast these days! The thing is, there’s something I do not understand, and that’s why I’m here right now, because I would like to find out whether donated embryos are always frozen or if you can adopt fresh embryos as well, I mean , you do the embryo transfer right after the embryos are produced… is it possible? Although I think FET is fine, I wouldn’t like to use frozen embryos if I can use fresh embryos instead… I’m afraid of the thawing process.

Thankss!!

11/22/2015 at 9:25 am
  2. Dear MA Renee,

All embryos used for embryo adoption come from another couple’s IVF cycle, that is to say, they are lefover or unwanted embryos, which you already know. When these embryos are not transferred (unused), they are frozen and after a period of time (usually 1-2 years), the couple will have to decide what they want to use them for.

Some couples decide to donate them for stem cell research, while others prefer to keep them frozen, ready to be used in case they wanted to have more children in the future. You can also choose to destroy them (if the woman’s not of childbearing age anymore) or, finally, donate them.

In conclusion, what I am trying to say is that all embryos, no matter where they come from, have been previously frozen and thawed, which answers your question: no, it is not possible to perform an embryo transfer using fresh embryos.

In case you want to get further info on this issue, I suggest you read the following article: Embryo donation.

Best wishes

11/30/2015 at 3:43 pm
Leave a reply