Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Using sperm donors and transporting frozen embryos from Europe

Using sperm donors and transporting frozen embryos from Europe

1. Keren
    Keren

Hi,
    I’m single woman over 40 from Israel, and I am interested in egg donation from Spain or Greece.
    I have 2 questions which their answer is critical to my decision..
    1. The first one is regarding the sperm donor:
    I have purchased an anonymous sperm vial from the USA, with no information about the donor -at all, other than genetic screening and medical tests (as it’s a must). I understand the law in Spain forbids me to use a sperm donor that I have ‘chosen’ as it must be completely anonymous.
    So my question is that since I’m not Spanish citizen, does this law must be applied on me too? Or can the clinic make an exception in this case and allow me to use the anonymous donor’s vial I already paid for?
    2. The second question is relating to the remaining embryos:
    Can I take them outside of Greece and Spain and bring them into my own country -Israel? Providing that I will ensure to have all relevant approvals from Israel’s ministry of health department and from the receiving lab? What is the law in Spain and Greece to release the embryos?
    Thank you in advance for your time and answers.
    Keren

03/04/2018 at 10:41 pm
  2. Dear keren,

I’m afraid that this is not a viable option. The Spanish law, for instance, doesn’t allow using known sperm donors or exporting the embryos created in a Spanish clinic to another country. It’s ilegal under Spanish law. So, if you’ve already purchased a sperm vial, you’ll have to choose a country where this is allowed.

As for the law in Greece, the law indicates that sperm donors must remain anonymous as well. As for the shipping of embryos to another country, actually the law does not prohibit it, but my advice is that you consult it with various clinics to make sure that what you aim to do is legal.

I hope this helps,

Best

03/05/2018 at 8:42 am
    • Dear Sandra,
      Thx for your reply.
      However, I want to ask again regarding your commen that “The Spanish law, for instance, doesn’t allow exporting the embryos created in a Spanish clinic to another country. It’s ilegal under Spanish law.”
      I approched some clinics in Spain, and they actually responded that it has beed done in the past, and that it’s not a problem, providing i present the documents from the local lab in Israel..
      Can i relay on that? or would i encounter problems at the last minute ?
      This is a critical issue for me..
      Many thx in advance for your reply
      Keren

03/08/2018 at 1:04 pm
    • Hello again keren,

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I apologize for not expressing myself entirely clearly.

Indeed, you can create embryos at a Spanish clinic and transport them to a clinic in another country, but only if it is you who is going to use them for an IVF cycle or any other fertility treatment that is permitted under Spanish law. This means that you wouldn’t be allowed to use them for surrogacy, for instance.

You can trust the clinic you are in contact with.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes

03/08/2018 at 3:51 pm
Leave a reply