Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Vitamins for non-obstructive azoospermia

Vitamins for non-obstructive azoospermia

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Thomas</span>
    Thomas

Hi!

my semen analysis came up with non-obstructive azoospermia. What I have understood so far that this is reversible by adapting a healthier lifestyle? Do I need to change my diet and include certain vitamins into my nutrition? My wife and I are willing to wait for another 3-4 months in order to see if my sperm production improves so we can try for a natural pregnancy.

06/01/2020 at 12:18 pm
  2. Hi Thomas,

Patients with non-obstructive azoospermia can incorporate vitamins such as maca root, a plant that grows in the central Andes (Peru and Bolivia) that is known for its aphrodisiac properties and benefits for male fertility. In cases of long-term azoospermia that is not due to stress or medications, there exists no natural remedy that can cause the testis to produce sperm.

Hope this answers your question,

Best regards

06/01/2020 at 7:24 pm
    • Hi!

So assuming that my type of azoospermia can not be treated naturally, which pregnancy options would we have then?

06/11/2020 at 5:24 pm
    • Hello Thomas,

Males with non-obstructive azoospermia need to resort to sperm donation. It involves doing an Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) or In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) with sperm donated by a young, healthy man. Sperm donors are medically and psychologically pre-screened to verify their state of health and confirm that their sample is in optimum conditions for being used.

Choosing between IUI or IVF depends on the characteristics of the female partner, including age, tubal patency, etc. Read more about conceiving with azoospermia here: How can I conceive with azoospermia?

Also, if you want to find out if you need IUI or IVF with sperm donation, I recommend you access our fertility report. This is a free tool that helps you determine the appropriate fertility treatment in your case and includes a cost budget, clinics in your area as well as tips for your first clinic visit.

Hope this helps,

wish you all the best.

06/13/2020 at 12:29 pm
  3. Hi Romina,

I suffer from azoospermia and I tried homeopathy, acupuncture, ayurvedic medicine, vitamins, etc. My wife and I still haven’t conceived. However, we hesitate to go to a fertility clinic due to cost reasons… What other options do we have?

11/05/2020 at 8:56 am
    • Hi Sam,

I’m sorry to hear that you still were not able to conceive. It is important to consider what type of azoospermia is involved in order to establish the most appropriate treatment.

In cases of obstructive azoospermia, surgical procedures such as a testicular biopsy could be a solution for obtaining sperm. On the other hand, secretory azoospermia can be solved with hormonal treatment, but this should always be personalized. Get more information about treatments for zero sperm count here: Treatment of azoospermia.

I understand your concern about the costs of fertility treatment. Besides, additional procedures such as testicular biopsies or ICSI method in IVF cycles add up to the overall cost of a fertility treatment. However, depending on which country you live in, you can get your fertility treatment publicly financed or in cases of private fertility clinics, there are also options of fertility financing programs in the forms of credit or discount programs. Get an overview of the costs of fertility treatments here: How much do fertility treatments cost?

Hope this helps,

Wish you all the best.

11/05/2020 at 9:10 am
  4. What is the difference between secretory and obstructive azoospermia?

12/08/2020 at 11:19 am
    • Hi Andrew,

Secretory or non-obstructive azoospermia occurs when the cause of lacking sperm in the ejaculated semen is due to spermatogenic failure. It is considered a severe sperm disorder, although it can be cured in certain cases with adequate treatment. If you want to know more about secretory azoospermia, have a look at this post: What Is Secretory or Non-Obstructive Azoospermia?

On the other hand, in obstructive azoospermia, there is no sperm seen in a semen sample due to ejaculatory duct obstruction which is responsible for enabling the exit to the exterior. However, it is considered the least severe type of azoospermia and can be fixed by surgery by reconnecting the conducts again. Read more here: Obstructive Azoospermia – Causes & Treatment Options.

Hope I could answer your question.

Best regards

12/09/2020 at 11:24 am
Leave a reply