Hello there! Today I’ve been doing some research regarding egg donation and i think I’m rather interested in becoming a donor, since you don’t only help other who need it, but also get money for that, so I’m quite interested, you know. The only thing I haven’t clarified to myself yet is which are the risks involved in this process, I mean, what are the side effects of egg donation, for example, will it affect my future own fertility? I haven’t made up my mind yet, but probably I’d like to have a baby in the future, one of my own, so I want to make sure everything will be okay and once the process is finished, I will be able to totally “forget” about it in terms of fertility and all that staff… Thanks!10/28/2015 at 9:43 pm
In principle, if the egg donation process occurs in a normal way, that is, without any extra problem, the egg donor’s fertility is not compromised nohow. And the most common is that no complications are involved or appear during the whole process.
In fact, egg donors can donate multiple times without their fertility being compromised. This means you can have as many children of your own as you wish, and you can be sure that no added problems derived from the donation you did in the past and/or its medications will appear.
Here you can find further info about having a baby via egg donation: Having a baby using donated eggs.
Hope I’ve helped you diminishing the fear you had regarding egg donation and your future fertility. In fact, I encourage you to donate your eggs, since this way you can help many women becoming mothers 😉10/29/2015 at 3:55 pm
I’ve already submitted my application to become an egg donor. Doctors at the clinic have been very nice to me, but when I asked them what are the risks, side effects, complications, etc. involved in egg donation, the information they’ve provided me with has been very sparse, so I’m not sure whether im getting in trouble or not. What are my chances of being affected with a serious issue? I’d like to be informed in detail, please, just to make sure that I’m not becoming infertile in the future. I’m young and willing to have my own children in the future, but need to sell my ovarian egg cells now because I’ve no enough money to live.
Thanks05/13/2017 at 8:03 am
The complications derived from egg donation are similar to those commonly related to IVF, but you should keep in mind that they affect a very small percentage of women undergoing treatment. Basically, the risks or complications can arise either during the surgery for egg collection or can derive from stimulation drugs. In short, the list of potential risks includes:
1. Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS): Women who respond very sensitively to fertility medications can produce too many follicles, which causes the ovaries to enlarge. Women with PCOS are more likely to develop it.
2. Psychological distress: The process itself can make the donor’s stress levels to increase.
3. Pelvic infection: There is a small risk that it occurs after egg retrieval. Women who are at higher risk are usually prescribed antibiotics to rule out any possibilities. Antibiotics, at the same time, can cause the donor to have an allergic reaction.
4. Side effects of fertility drugs: weight gain, stomach pressure, allergic reactions, mood changes, susceptibility to develop blood clots, etc.
5. Potential long-term risks: No scientific study has proved the relationship between egg donation and cancer or infertility.
This thread might also be of interest: Potential egg donor concerned about OHSS
I hope this summary is helpful,
Best wishes05/16/2017 at 5:38 pm
Hello, everyone. I’m 28 years old and I have some experience in egg donation process. I was so happy as I give a woman a chance to have her dream come true to be a mother. For the process, it has little some side effect as discomfort and redness at the injections sites. Side effects may also include breast tenderness, fluid retention, feeling full, and moodiness. I also have a temporary weight gain. Anyway, I enjoy doing that to help infertility women.08/30/2017 at 5:52 pm
Other topics related to this forum