Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
What is do-it-yourself IVF and how does it work?

What is do-it-yourself IVF and how does it work?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Christina M.</span>
    Christina M.

Hello,

I’ve done 3 at-home IUI cycles already, but no pregnancy yet. I’m desperate now, so have started to search for information on further fertility treatments. I found that IVF can also be done at home, but I don’t quite understand how because where can I do the “in vitro” thing? I think it may be kind of hard, right?

Please, tell me if this is true because then I would like to give it a try!!

Thanksss

02/03/2016 at 12:36 pm
  2. Hello Christina,

I am afraid doing an at-home IVF is impossible, contrary to what happens with at-home artificial insemination. The reason why it is impossible is related to how each one of these processes work. Let me explain how they work to you so that you can understand better:

• In vitro fertilization (IVF): In this process, the egg and sperm are fused together OUTSIDE the woman’s body, in a laboratory setting. The resulting embryos are then implanted in the woman’s womb.
    • Artificial insemination (AI) or intrauterine insemination (IUI): it consists of placing the sperm manually inside the female reproductive system, generally in the uterus. It is simpler than IVF because no surgical intervention is required.

Thus, the reason why do-it-yourself in vitro fertilization is impossible is due to the fact that IVF means “in glass fertilization”, that is to say, the embryo is created in a petri dish that used to be glass. In a DIY method, it would be impossible to retrieve your eggs from your body, separate the sperm, and then fuse them together (fertilization).

My advice is that you visit a fertility clinic, where your fertility will be evaluated and then you will be recommended to undergo the fertility treatment that best fits your particular needs.

Hope this helps,

Regards

02/11/2016 at 11:18 am
Leave a reply