Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
What is surgical sperm retrieval? Procedure, success rates, side effects…

What is surgical sperm retrieval? Procedure, success rates, side effects…

1. maryw
    maryw

Hi! I am Mary. I would like to know more about one isssue. My husband must go on surgical sperm extraction. I know that it’s because he have no sperm in his semen.

12/07/2017 at 11:41 pm
  2. Men who have no sperm in their semen and who want to have children may be able to have treatment to collect the sperm surgically. This could be because: he had a vasectomy, he had a sexually transmitted infection like chlamydia. Often it’s due to genetics but it can also occur as a result of a sexually transmitted infection or certain medical treatments. In some cases no cause can be found in the same way that some female fertility problems have no known cause. Men may also have these treatments if they are unable to ejaculate (retrograde ejaculation or anejaculation).

12/07/2017 at 11:44 pm
  3. Hi! You are in difficult position. I emphatize with you. This is an issue that can be treated but with lot of risk. It’s important to be aware that even if sperm is successfully extracted there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to have a child. His sperm will need to be used in a fertility treatment like intracytoplasmic sperm injection so your chances of having a baby will depend on how successful the treatment is and whether his sperm is of high quality.

12/07/2017 at 11:49 pm
  4. Dear maryw,

Thanks to everyone who contributed! Indeed, surgical sperm retrieval or SSR is an option for men with an obstruction that prevents them from releasing sperm, often as a consequence of an injury or an infection; the congenital absence of the vas deferens; vasectomy; or non-obstructive azoospermia.

When there’s a blockage or the man lacks the vasa deferentia, sperm can be collected directly from the epididymis through SSR. In these cases, actually there’s a high chance of recovering sperm using this method (above 90%), In cases of non-obstructive azoospermia (zero or too low sperm count), the success rates reach approximately 40%.

The techniques used to perform this method are either PESA (Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration) or TESE (Testicular Sperm Extraction).

I hope I have been able to help,

Best

12/11/2017 at 9:16 am
Leave a reply