Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Which countries do not allow commercial surrogacy?

Which countries do not allow commercial surrogacy?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Surrogate-to-be</span>
    Surrogate-to-be

Hello! I’m offering myself as a surrogate. I love traveling, so I’m making my services available for everyone reading this, regardless of the country they live in. I’d travel there in exchange of a place where to live while I’m pregnant for them. I find this is a wonderful idea in spite of what some may think…

But, of course, I wanna do this in countries where commercial surrogacy is allowed, or at least where surrogates get an economic compensation for the inconveniences caused. I’m doing this to help couples and singles become parents. I think it is a very good option to make the most of your journey, and besides you are helping people. I don’t mind being pregnant, I think it’s the most beautiful stage in a woman’s life. Why not then?

So, could anybody give some hints on which countries won’t allow me to make money out of surrogacy? Thanks!!

02/28/2016 at 9:39 am
  2. Dear Surrogate-to-be,

the truth is, the issue about how much are surrogate mothers paid and where is this practice allows is a very controversial question. As you may know, surrogacy is not allowed everywhere, but in the countries where it is allowed, there may be a great deal of restrictions, especially those relating to financial compensations.

Those countries where commercial surrogacy is banned consider that paying the surrogate for this service leaves behind the altruism this process is supposed to have. Thus, by erasing the possibility of getting a compensation, only women who are only willing to help others will be willing to become surrogates.

This also applies to intended parents and any other third party participating in the process, since there has been cases in which a woman’s body has been used unfairly. To sum up, they believe getting big amounts of money for being a surrogate may lead both the surrogate and the baby-to-be to be targeted merely as a commercial transaction.

For instance, in countries like India, where the economic status of the population is rather low, the compensation and/or payment a surrogate mother may get could be equal to that earned by a whole family in a year or various years. Such change of economic status may lead some people to end up commercializing women’s bodies.

For this reason, the following countries and US states have banned commercial surrogacy either totally or partially:

– Canada: Getting any type of financial benefit for being a surrogate is a crime. However, surrogates can be compensated for the expenses derived from pregnancy, although to a maximum amount of $22,000.
    – Australia: Commercial surrogacy is a crime as well, and may be punishable by up to two years imprisonment plus a fine of $110,000 for intended parents.
    – US states of Nevada, Virginia, and Washington: The three of them allow surrogates to get an economic compensation for the expenses derived from the process. Any contract of commercial surrogacy will be automatically void.
    – Brazil: Surrogacy is allowed in this country, but surrogate mothers must be an immediate family member (e.g. mother, sister, or daughter of the prospective surrogate).

Common expenses you are likely to be compensated for include: medical expenses derived from IVF and those linked to pregnancy (ultrasound scan, visits to the clinic…), dietary supplements (if necessary), lost work hours, maternity clothing, etc.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

03/18/2016 at 12:36 pm
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum