Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Will I have to travel out of my state to donate my eggs?

Will I have to travel out of my state to donate my eggs?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Leah Langdon</span>
    Leah Langdon

Hello Doc,

I live in the City and County of Denver, CO and I’ve just applied to become a donor in a fertility clinic located here… They said they do not have too many intended parents right now, so I’m likely to be matched with a set of intended parents from out of CO… I don’t want to travel outside because I’ve my own baby (3 yo currently) and many things to do on a daily basis… But at the same time I need the money donating my eggs will provide me with, so I don’t know what to do you see? Do you know if I’ve some kinda right in this cases, a special compensation or something?

Plz, any ideas would be very much appreciated…

x

06/17/2016 at 4:32 pm
  2. Dear Leah,

No, you are not required to travel out of your state in order to participate in an egg donor program. Nonetheless, potential egg donors who are unwilling to travel are less likely to be accepted into the program, as in many fertility clinics, intended parents reside anywhere within the USA.

Ask your fertility center for further info.

All the best

06/21/2016 at 11:12 am
  3. Same here Leah! I live in Philadelphia but my clinic says they are trying to match me with a set of IPs who live nearby, but they can’t make sure it will happen that way… I’m worried but I just can’t say no, so I’ll have to travel out of my state and god knows how it’ll end up… I’ve no money so I hope my IPs are lavish… What can I expect in such case Sandra? Thx

07/04/2016 at 11:16 am
    • Hello Kiara,

In case your fertility clinic asked you to travel out of state to donate your eggs, I guess they will try to give you as much advanced notice as possible – I know some donors who already knew it 2-3 months before having to do so. When they ask you to travel, they will tell you which city and state will you be traveling to, so don’t worry about that. It’ll be at that time when you can agree or disagree to travel.

Should you choose to travel, all expenses will paid through the agency, including hotel, ground transportation, per diem allowance to cover meals, etc. Taking this into account, you can see there is no reason to be concerned as no money from your pocket has to be provided.

Hope this helps,

All the best

07/05/2016 at 10:22 am
  4. And how long will I be outside if I agree to do it? Sorry for so many questions, but I wanna make sure my decision-making has enough reasons to agree with this issue… 🙁

07/06/2016 at 9:08 am
    • Hello again Kiara,

Well, I’m afraid I cannot give you an accurate reply as this matter varies from clinic to clinic, and also depends on the donor. On average, you and your companion (there’s no reason for you to travel on your own! fertility centers include a companion within the cost estimate when a donor has to travel out of her state) can expect to stay out of your state for around 5-7 days.

Best regards

07/07/2016 at 3:09 pm
  5. So you recommend me to save money from now on till the moment when I’m asked to travel? OMG and what if I can’t afford any sudden expense that arises will I’m out of state? Thx Sandra, you’re a very kind person!!!!

07/08/2016 at 12:38 pm
    • Hi again Kiara,

As I said on my previous comment, egg donors should never out of pocket any expenses. The agency or clinic will cover all your expenses, as well as those of your companion. They will all be paid through the agency. Airfare, ground transportation, meals, accommodation… all that expenses will be covered by the clinic, so don’t worry about that.

And, in the case you end up having to pay any expenses out of pocket, all you have to do is providing the receipts to the clinic or agency. So be careful not to lose them!! If it is a covered cycle related expense, they will reimburse you.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

07/09/2016 at 11:09 am
  6. Ladies, just take advantage of it!!! I like in Baja California but my recipients live reside in Cancun so I will fly to Cancun in August or September for the egg retrieval. My agency covers all expenses, and I can’t wait to be in Paradise!! I’ve always wanted to visit Cancun and Mexico lindo 🙂 I started today all the testing, this is my 2nd egg donation cycle. Pap, vaginal ultrasound, and breast exploration all done 😉 Result: perfect uterus and I’ve 3 follicles in my left ovary, and 4 in the right… All of them maturing naturally!!!!! My ovaries, uterus and breasts are doing amazing… I can’t wait!!! Do not hesitate to travel out of your state if you’re asked to do so 😉 it’s an opportunity!!!

07/16/2016 at 10:39 am
Leave a reply