Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
3 weeks post medical abortion and positive test!

3 weeks post medical abortion and positive test!

1. Linny
    Linny

Hi Sandra,

I wonder can you help. I had an abortion on August 19th and was 6 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I am completely ashamed of having it but it is what it is. I had sex (not full sex) with my husband on the 28th and as an extra precaution I also took the morning after pill. I had what I imagine was a period last week… it was heavy and lasted 5 days! I done a pregnancy test and it was positive (clear blue brand). My doctor also done one and was negative… she wasn’t very helpful… I am just wondering, is there a chance I could be pregnant or are my hormones just all over the place?? It’s a very hard time and I understand I caused it myself but all the same I’m very confused by the two test contradicting each other???

Many many thanks!

09/10/2016 at 3:32 pm
  2. Hello Linny,

If you had a medical abortion, the most likely is that your hCG levels haven’t dropped fully yet. Each female body is different, so my advice is that you’re patient.

After a medical abortion, and taking into account you took the morning after pill – which has an elevated hormone level – it’s normal to experience some bleeding. Urine tests can give you false results, while blood tests are more accurate. So, if the one your dr did was negative, you’re not pregnant.

Don’t worry. I recommend you to read the following thread: 3 weeks post abortion and hCG levels still going up.

I hope this helps,

Best

09/12/2016 at 9:15 am
Leave a reply