How to check sperm count after vasectomy

1. Melissa
    Melissa

Hello, my husband went through vasectomy a few months ago and we’ve been using condoms ever since, just in case there’s a little swimmer still out there that could get me pregnant (we’ve already 3 kids). We need to know when will we be free to have unprotected sex, without birth control. Do we need to undergo more tests? Pls, help!

11/04/2017 at 4:08 pm
  2. Dear Melissa,

A vasectomy is a surgical procedure whereby the man is permanently sterilized. So, after undergoing a vasectomy, males are expected to have a zero sperm count eventually, that is, to be diagnosed with azoospermia. Through a vasectomy, sperm production is expected to stop over time. However, after a few months, we may be able to still find a spermatozoon in some cases.

You haven’t specified how long it’s been since your husband underwent it, but some experts recommend that men wait 6-9 months to take another semen analysis, just in case a small percentage of spermatozoa is still present in their vasa deferentia, which would be expelled with ejaculation. So, in short, the only way a man can check his sperm count after vasectomy is by means of a semen analysis, seminogram or sperm test.

My advice is that you wait a few months and undergo another sperm test before stopping using condoms, just in case.

Read more: What to expect with a vasectomy.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes!

11/06/2017 at 6:21 pm
We use own cookies and third party cookies to offer you personalized ads and gather statistical data. If you continue the navigation we understand that you accept our cookies policy.