Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Feeling lonely and depressed during pregnancy

Feeling lonely and depressed during pregnancy

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">helena mad</span>
    helena mad

Hello,
    I’m a pregnant woman who just wants to share her feelings during this journey…Currently i’m 5 months pregnant and everything’s going fine. My partner is being supportive and all that stuff and my parents are by my side whenever i need them. But i can’t help feeling lonely… When i go to bed, it’s me who suffers the pains and inconveniences of this baby bump, it’s me who has morning sickness and has to go to the bathroom and puke. it’s me who enters the gyn consultation and talks with her, even if partner is sitting next to me. it’s sad because i know that this won’t change when the baby is born, in fact i strongly believe that it’s getting worse and the worst is yet to come. Do you think the problem is mine? Do you think these are signs of baby blues? Or is it that pregnancy is such a lonely experience but nobody tells you before? I want this baby more than anything, but the feelings i’m getting don’t match my expectations… Please, can someone cheer me up? I feel so lost….

02/22/2018 at 4:04 pm
  2. Dear helena mad,

Thanks for creating this thread. Well, the feelings you’re describing are actually commonplace for many women during pregnancy. In fact, research shows that 12 to 20% of pregnant women are depressed or have feelings of loneliness. It is believed that hormones play a major role in this—keep in mind that having mood swings is a common pregnancy symptom.

Experts agree that depression during pregnancy requires medical attention. Keep in mind that feeling depressed can affect the baby as well, since it can cause the pregnant woman not to eat well, get enough sleep or exercise, among others. This can have a very negative impact on the baby’s health.

Now it’s time for you to rely on your partner and family members as much as possible. Share your concerns and fears with them and try to understand why you’re feeling like that, and what can be done to make you feel better.

Recommended for you: What Is Postpartum Depression?

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

02/23/2018 at 12:17 pm
  3. Hi there, thanks for sharing the helpful thread. I have also heard that many of them feel depressed during their pregnancy. According to me your depression can affect the baby. You need to be happy, read books and keep yourself busy with good things. I have also heard that there are professionals who can help to cure depression. I think you can also try for it.

03/13/2018 at 7:01 am
Leave a reply