Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Frozen donor eggs vs fresh

Frozen donor eggs vs fresh

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">barbie williams</span>
    barbie williams

Hello, I’m new to this forum, what’s up?

I just completed my fifth and unsuccessful IVF cycle and I’ve decided to move to donor eggs. But I don’t know what should I do regarding the use of frozen or fresh eggs. I’ve heard using fresh eggs makes the process longer and the benefits you get are not too high if compared to those after using frozen eggs, so what do you suggest?

Thanks for letting me know

10/07/2015 at 8:40 pm
  2. Dear barbie,

After several unsuccessful IVF treatments using your own eggs, I find it is a very good idea that you’ve decided to use donor eggs, since success rates will improve significantly.

Currently, the field of frozen eggs has experienced great technical advances. Thus, today the survival rate of embryos after being thawed is almost 100%. Egg freezing is widely used, for instance, as a way for fertility preservation among single women, cancer patients, etc. and its outcome is usually very positive.

Among the advantages of using frozen donor eggs if compared to fresh eggs, we could mention the need of synchronization between the donor and the recipient. By “synchronization” we mean that the menstrual cycles of both must be synchronized so that they take place at the same time, that is to say, the donor’s ovulation period has to happen while the recipient is on her endometrial receptivity phase. To sum up, this makes the whole process lasts longer.

Conversely, if you use frozen eggs, the process becomes simpler: the only thing left to do is thawing the eggs, fertilize them and then the embryo transfer (ET). Besides, you don’t depend on potential problems that may appear on the donor (e.g. poor ovarian response, absence of eggs to remove, etc.).

And last but not least, the cost of using frozen donor eggs is considerably lower than that of fresh donor eggs.

Hope this helps

10/08/2015 at 5:27 pm
  3. Hi barbie williams,

I consider myself an expert on this topic, so let me tell you my story. I attempted to finish an IVF cycle using fresh donor eggs and suddenly one day my clinic called me to say the cycle was cancelled due to issues with the donor, because she tested positive on some tests. Imagine how devastated I felt as soon as I got that news…

I was so desperate that I thought I’d never be able to be on motherhood, but then I was suggested to use frozen donor eggs, since it’s as easy as visiting a egg donor agency and try to find the suitable donor for me, so that’s what I did and I must say the fresh donor egg program that I followed was very innovative. Besides, it was successful! Now my baby is 2 years old, so I cannot be happier 🙂

Apart from that, my insurance covered $2,350 of the total cost, so I agree with Sandra on saying that frozen donor eggs are cheaper than fresh eggs. I would say there is a world of difference between both techniques actually.

10/09/2015 at 4:39 pm
Leave a reply