Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Home sperm test kit for testing male fertility

Home sperm test kit for testing male fertility

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">malcom white</span>
    malcom white

Hi there!

I want to become a sperm donor but while I was searching for info regarding the requirements and all that stuff I came across something called “home sperm testing kit”. I find it totally useful, especially to save you some time! This test shows you how is your sperm quality, right? Just to make sure before proceeding with everything… and are they accurate enough? If so, I guess it means that if I get a positive outcome, it will mean I qualify as a sperm donor.

Thanks for any help you can provide

12/12/2015 at 6:06 pm
  2. Dear Malcom,

While it is true that there exist home sperm test kits that let you know whether your sperm count is within normal limits or not, on the other hand this sort of tests are not so accurate, since they do not provide too much information to help you find out if your semen sample is within the normal sperm values or not.

So you have an idea, these tests show a positive outcome if sperm concentration is above 15-20 million sperm/ml, but info regarding sperm motility and sperm morphology is not given. Some fertility clinics demand sperm concentration values that are well above the minimal reference values.

For this reasons, I would recommend you to visit a fertility clinic, where you will be performed a complete seminogram in the laboratory. This is the only way all your male fertility parameters can be examined. Besides, even if the home sperm testing was highly accurate, there are also other screening tests that you must pass, such as blood analyses or karyotype testing; this means you have no choice but to visit a fertility clinic if you want to donate your sperm.

I hope I have clarified all your doubts,

Regards

01/12/2016 at 6:24 pm
Leave a reply