Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Home study for embryo adoption, is it required?

Home study for embryo adoption, is it required?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">rOsEmArY kErY</span>
    rOsEmArY kErY

Hello, I’ve always been very interested in traditional domestic infant adoption, but a few months ago I heard about embryo adoption, a fertility option that may turn out to be traditional adoption version 2.0. I know prospective parents need to go through a home study before being allocated a child, but I’m not sure whether it is also necessary in the case of embryo adoption. Could you please kindly clarify the following to me? 1) What does home study actually involve?; 2) Is the home study process required for embryo adoption as well?

I live in Westport, CT and my age is 29. My husband is 38 and we wish to have a baby this year, more or less in summer. Thanks.

02/08/2016 at 5:28 pm
  2. Dear rOsEmArY,

firstly, a home study is required for every traditional adoption process, regardless of whether it is a domestic adoption or an international adoption. A home study is broadly speaking a basic overview of your life and involves the following aspects: criminal background checks, your finances, personal relationships… It is filed to a court and will be used to assess if there exist a stable environment for a family to receive an adoptive baby.

Many organizations offering embryo donation & adoption today also require a home study before starting the process. Home studies for embryo adoption are virtually identical to those performed for a traditional adoption. The main difference is that, in some cases, embryo donation agencies require additional paperwork or steps, making it this way a more thorough process.

While it is already difficult and tiring when done for traditional adoption, it may become even more difficult for embryo adoption when further steps are involved, as usually a home study is the longest step when getting ready for adoption. For this reason, prospective parents are advised to begin the home study process as soon as possible.

There exist some embryo adoption home study providers across the USA that help complete the required home study report. You can find a list with all the agencies providing embryo adoption home study services by clicking the following link: Embryo Adoption Home Study Providers.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

02/17/2016 at 5:48 pm
    • Hello, just wanted to share my story. In my case, my conversations with my potential donors are getting a bit complicated. They’ve been seeing an expert, and according to this person lawyers are obligatory and also a home study!!!!!! In Canada (that’s where I come from and live currently) a home study is around 3,000 CAD… Wonder if we could offer something similar that is “less” expensive. Luckily, my donors are very reasonable, but they want to do things “right” at the same time. They understand that I don’t want to incur high costs, so I wonder if any of you have the slightest idea of a counteroffer I could make… For example, could I do psychological evaluations in place of a home study? Or has anyone ever heard of a cheaper version of a home study? S.O.S!!

05/03/2016 at 3:13 pm