Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How many embryos should I transfer?

How many embryos should I transfer?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">KennethBS</span>
    KennethBS

Hello again! My wife underwent ovarian drilling yesterday. Out of 17 follicles, 8 were of maximum quality so they removed them. Out of that 8, just 4 fertilized. She is 29, suffers from 2nd degree endometriosis and has blocked tubes. That’s why we resorted to IVF. The question is: 1) is it okay that just 4 out of 8 follicles have fertilized?, 2) aren’t we going to find out the quality of our embryo until the third day?, and the most important thing 3) how many embryos do you recommend us to transfer? 1 or 2? Just to let you know, this is our first attempt in ART. Thank you very much!

07/03/2015 at 1:41 pm
  2. Hi Kenneth,

Firstly, out of the 8 follicles that were removed from your wife, if four have fertilized it is actually a good indicator. However, it relies on the quality of those eggs, its ripening, semen quality, etc. To sum up, it depends on each couple’s situation. Regarding embryo quality, it can be determined either on day 2 or day 3.

The most important thing is to check that the embryos are developing as they should. As for the number of embryos that you should transfer, I’m afraid I can’t give you a concrete figure, since it has to be you who have to decide it, always following medical advice in terms of the pros and cons of transferring one or two embryos. It basically depends on the uterine conditions your wife has, embryo quality, and the facilities the assisted reproduction centre has.

Bearing in mind both aspects, chances for implantation will be determined. In case there’s a high likelihood, a single embryo transfer will be recommended, but if not, two embryos will be transferred. The most appropriate thing is to transfer a single embryo though, since it is your first attempt.

Anyway, let me repeat that it depends on your individual situation and the conditions each woman is facing. According to your situation, your wife suffers from endometriosis, a condition that may hinder implantation to occur. For that reason, your situation calls for a two embryo transfer, although there may be multiple pregnancy risk and the resulting risks for the mother.

I hope I have cleared your doubts, Kenneth. I wish you everything is OK during your cycle and the dream of becoming parents finally comes true.

Best wishes.

07/03/2015 at 1:58 pm