Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How many IVF cycles did it take you to get pregnant?

How many IVF cycles did it take you to get pregnant?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">K. Chapman</span>
    K. Chapman

Hey, what’s up?

My husband and I have fertility problems and we’re undergoing our second IVF cycle, but earlier we did 3 inseminations. Actually at the very beginning I was a little more excited but now I’m kinda disappointed because it’s taking too long…

I’d like to know how many times on average do I need to try IVF before it works.

Thank you very much,

Kind regards

08/31/2015 at 8:42 pm
  2. The current average is of 2-4 IVF attempts, but it is only indicative as it depends on each case, the fertility problem, and the number of transfers that can be done at each attempt.

It depends on the recommendations given by your gynecologist but also on how emotionally prepared you are to deal with possible failure and of course on your economic status.

In many cases, experts recommend to turn to ICSI when prior IVF attempts have failed, since it allows a more specific selection of the spermatozoon to be done.

Ask your doctor at any rate. Good luck!

09/01/2015 at 3:49 pm
  3. Hey! My wife and I underwent IVF a few months ago and it finally worked after 7 attempts… She’s 42 years old now. My advice is that hope is the last thing you lose. I would also recommend you to turn to another clinic, because maybe the doctors at your center are not as experts as they pretend to… Believe me YOU CAN! 😀 Wishing you all the best.

09/01/2015 at 6:03 pm
  4. Hello, I’ve a question. I experienced menstrual problems a while ago, when I was 23. Later, when I was 34 I had a miscarriage and my periods are absent ever since. I want to have a baby now and I don’t know what to do. Obviously I know I can’t achieve pregnancy naturally but I’d like to know whether I could undergo IVF. If so, where? Please, kindly if anyone could help me make my dream come true, I’d be eternally grateful 😉

09/02/2015 at 8:56 am
    • I’m sorry you’re facing this. Having donor egg as a backplan is just good. But I’d not rush onto it unless make sure natural conceiving is out of the question. And it’s super great your relative is this kind to offer you her healthy egg. But here the decision should not be made in haste anyway, hun. You may apply to ivf in the time flow. I’m sure it’s worth trying getting into the right BMI first though I know it’s not easy. A couple of things about me – 39 yrs old with 2 cycles ivf with my ex with low sperm quality behind. My right ovary never responded to the treatment. With my new dh came to the conclusion we’d need more opinions on the point, so did a huge work on self educating on ivf with donor egg which led us overseas. My amh is extremelly low so our new dr and we actually weren’t counting on those 3% chance with oe, so went straight to egg donation. A completely new experience for us!! Were feeling nervous and excited at the same point though I understand my genes with die with me..Still found strengh to do this – I’ve never regreted about this so far.

12/09/2019 at 8:44 am
  5. Just don’t give up!!!

11/17/2015 at 3:39 am
  6. Hi I’m from Canada and tried IVF 2 times, a fresh transfer of 1 embryo and a frozen one, both did not work. At the time I was overweight. In total I spent about 8000$ and it did not worked, I lost about 40 pounds and have 1 left frozen embryo and would like to know if I have a high chance of getting pregnant this time. Thanks.

06/13/2017 at 10:52 pm
    • Dear Katia,

Losing excess weight before undergoing IVF treatment can improve the success rates. In fact, having a healthy body and an optimum weight is beneficial not only for having a smooth pregnancy, but for delivering a healthy child. According to statistics, women with normal weight (with a Body Mass Index below 20) have higher live birth rates than obese women. So, yes, you might have a higher chance of getting pregnant this time.

It depends, however, on other factors, such as your age, endometrial growth, etc. Ask your doctor about all the factors that might be involved in addition to your weight.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

06/14/2017 at 10:45 am
    • Dear Katia, I think your chances are high taking this into consideration. There is an obvious link between BMI and fertility treatments. A friend of mine lost 48 pounds in between 2 cycles. Having less weight for her meant an easier egg retrieval and fewer days of stims. Losing the weight will definitely help in the long run. So now when you’ve got rid off extra lbs, the outcomes are going to be much better. All the best of luck with your ET!!

06/24/2018 at 12:09 pm
  7. Hello, I’m Angela, 38. I’m waiting for my baby but I’ve used surrogacy, actually I’d had some experience before it. Firstly, you have to do general urine analysis, blood chemistry, hormones analisys and a smear. The man also needs to pass the sperm for carrying out the spermogram and a smear from the urethra. Generally it is safe and each repeated attempt increases the chances of success by analyzing and correcting failures on the first attempt. IVF didn’t help me. I’ve made the first IVF in the age of 31 and BFN. Other results are the same, but I know some pairs who were doing it with 2-3 month interval and finally BFP. So my answer as you wish.
    Good luck

06/26/2017 at 3:14 pm
  8. The second one worked for me. Maybe doctors need to look into it and see what is the problem. Maybe you need surrogacy or s donor program.

04/14/2018 at 5:19 pm
    • If someone is considering a donor egg program, you’ll more likely to face the following:
      All recipients, regardless of age should have a complete blood count, blood tests for HIV, hepatitis B and C, cytomegalovirus, rubella, toxoplasmosis and RH factor before starting a donor egg cycle.
      Do you have any health problems that would be affected by a pregnancy such as cardiovascular disease? Are you on prescription medication, etc?
      If you are over 40 and are considering the donor egg options, make sure that you have a current electrocardiogram, mammogram, glucose tolerance test and chest film.
      Have you talked to an obstetrician about the risks relating to pregnancy, labor and delivery for women in your age category?
      Have you discussed the risks of multiple births, which is quite high with donor eggs?
      Have you asked about the miscarriage rate after embryo transfer?
      Has your husband or partner’s semen been tested lately?
      Will the clinic use estrogen and progesterone to prepare the endometrium lining of your uterus? Will the clinic require a mock cycle first? Which type of estrogen is used? And probably some others.
      Hope this helps.

10/12/2018 at 11:06 am
  9. Hello,
    In 2-4 attempts IVF treatment gets success. As it depends on the infertility issue with the couples. It also depends how strong intended mother is physically and mentally. The more you are strong and positive the faster results you will get.

04/16/2018 at 9:09 am
  10. Hi Ladies, just wanted to let you know that i understand your pain of going through IVF treatments. I went through Two IUIs, and two failed IVFs before i finally got pregnant with my third IVF. The journey was hard, but you can give up.

So i did a couple of things differently this time around:

1) Did a surgery to remove all my fibroids before my third round and waited for several months to recover
    2) Took blood thinners (lovenox injections every night-40m-one time per day)
    3) baby aspirin 81mg
    4) ate very clean one month before the transfer
    5) the final round did not include birth control- i started taking estrogen pills the second day of my period
    6) one week before the transfer and two weeks after i drank chicken and beef broth -organic grass fed
    7) ate pineapple cores 5 days after the transfer-first day being the transfer day
    8) i did not rest too much after the transfer-took it very easy the first day -in bed pretty much and the second day was half in bed half walking and the third day i left the house and went to a pool party and tried to stay stay cool (not too much sun) and hydrated
    9) drank a lot of water -a lot of tea- non caffeinated
    10) took two days off from work before the transfer and stayed home for 3 more weeks after the transfer
    11) slept and rested during the day but still kept active- went for walks and went out at nights
    12) ate lots of nuts
    13) took my vitamins
    14) ate brazilian nuts every day
    14) kept my body and feet warm
    15) wore flat shoes
    16) tried to stay away from stress (tried but wasn’t always successful in this department)
    17) went to church many times and still going-prayed and prayed and every day i still do-God is Good! 🙂
    18) i tried to eat gluten free foods and gross fed meats and diary products and organic fruits and veggies
    19) did not take a shower for the first two days and then tried to take a shower with warm water instead of hot water
    20) used organic shampoo from Whole Foods

hope this tips will help you ladies.

Good luck and please don’t give up! baby dust!!!! 🙂

05/03/2018 at 1:01 am
  11. We’ve just undergone ivf shot with donor egg. I’m 39 yrs old. We did pass 2 ivf cycles with own eggs with my ex. That time we also had a male issue. My ex had low sperm quality. And my right ovary never responded to treatments which is strange enough..We usually got a good number of eggs. But once fertilised, they developed poorly and slow. We also wanted to try to see if our embryos would grow better without getting taken out once a day for the scientists to look at. Here I’m talking about EmbryoScope usage..(Average costs in the UK – £700).
    Well, things changed. I met my Mr Right. We both wanted kids so much that’s why we started another round ivf. This time went overseas for affordable prices mostly. My AMH test results came in 3% only. Our new Dr told us it won’t do. She adviced turning to donor egg. We didn’t have to look for the perfect donor for long with them. Donor matching process passed quickly so soon we could start the program itself. They placed back 2 nice 5day embies during ET. I got bfp, currently waiting for the scan date. So, on the whole this was our 3rd attempt of treatments. But this was actually ivf#1 with donor egg successful. So we tried 3 times ivf before got prego. All the best of luck, ladies, with your cycles.

06/24/2018 at 12:01 pm
  12. We’ve come back to the clinic for baby#2. Need more reassurance it will work again. here’s some of my background I’ve already shared on another thread. I’ve been there too. For a long time, i should say. Starting from ttc 3+yrs, then moving to actual treatments. Our first Dr decided to start with the less invasive options, like medicated cycles with monitorying – no baby. Then he wanted us to pass several rounds of IUI – no baby. We both started feeling depressed and discouraged about the process. The thing IUi is much cheaper to opt for turned out to be a complete disaster for us. We went through 4 rounds with no luck and came to the thought we could pass IVF ICSI cycle or any other procedure with much higher success rates. Finally we switched the docs and clinics. Moved forward with using own eggs again with IVF as our new Dr felt very positive about it. Passed 3 rounds with no luck. Dr wanted to push us for ”one more round” only, as she believed she’d invented the best treatment plan for us. But taking into consideration our huge financial burden, we could make it one more try only. So we preferred opting for donor egg abroad – for more affordable costs. That was going to be our last att. If no luck we’d have to spend yrs saving up for the treatments again. Our third Dr so far told us we made the right decision having made our mind around donor egg. Finally we got luck. So, on the whole it took us 7 rounds to conceive our first.

12/12/2018 at 12:57 pm
  13. I’m sorry if it sounds not calming at all but I experienced 2 ivf cycles with my ex who had low sperm quality & got bfns. I’m not blaming him anyway, because dr told us my right ovary never responded to treatments, so I’m sure these are both sided issues. Still sperm quality is vital in ivf. Currently my amh came in to be extreamelly low. My new dh is ok. We’ve recently applied for ivf with donor egg overseas.
    In your shoes, I’d go somewhere else for the 2nd opinion. Stay strong!

12/09/2019 at 8:40 am
  14. This is what my dr at the repro center abroad explained us whilst the initial consultation. The chances of giving birth to a healthy baby after using IVF depend on various factors, including: Maternal age. The younger you are, the more likely you are to get pregnant and give birth to a healthy baby using your own eggs during IVF. Women age 41 and older are often counseled to consider using donor eggs during IVF to increase the chances of success. Embryo status. Transfer of embryos that are more developed is associated with higher pregnancy rates compared with less developed embryos (day two or three). However, not all embryos survive the development process. Talk with your doctor about your specific situation. Reproductive history. Women who’ve previously given birth are more likely to be able to get pregnant using IVF than are women who’ve never given birth. Success rates are lower for women who’ve previously used IVF multiple times but didn’t get pregnant. Cause of infertility. Having a normal supply of eggs increases your chances of being able to get pregnant using IVF. Women who have severe endometriosis are less likely to be able to get pregnant using IVF than are women who have unexplained infertility.Obesity can decrease the chances. Dr is the one to guide through.

12/19/2019 at 1:52 pm
Leave a reply