Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
How to find out you’re a genetic carrier before donating eggs

How to find out you’re a genetic carrier before donating eggs

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">alysa smothers</span>
    alysa smothers

Hi there! This is sophie… I’ve just read your article on “Becoming an egg donor in the USA” and I’m quite interested now… I’ve understood the requirements, I’m in the 21-34 age group and I think my characteristics are fine. One of the requirements says the donor has to be free of infectious diseases and mutations… I do feel good, but maybe I’m a carrier and haven’t found it out yet… I’ve never been on genetic testing to be honest with you. It it a pre-requisite? Lab testing, genetic testing and all that stuff…

05/26/2016 at 10:38 am
  2. Dear alysa,

One of the most important requirements to become an egg donor is precisely being free from infectious diseases such as the HIV, hepatitis B and C, and syphilis. Besides, donors cannot be carriers of a chromosomal abnormality or mutation which may lead to the transmission o f a genetic disorder or disease.

This genetic screening will be performed by the center where you’re about to donate your eggs, via blood and karyotype tests. All the expenses derived from these tests are made at the fertility clinic’s expense, so you do not have to pay for them. Not only you don’t have to pay for becoming an egg donor, but you will be given an economic compensation for the potential inconveniences caused.

I hope this helps,

Best regards

05/30/2016 at 3:08 pm