Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
I have fear of needles, can I take oral medications for egg donation?

I have fear of needles, can I take oral medications for egg donation?

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Marie Black</span>
    Marie Black

Aloha! I’m really interested in donating my eggs, I have read a great amount of articles and got info and I would really like to help whoever needs my eggs! But I have a problem, you see I have fear of needles! I suffered a lot when I was a child and I got needle vaccinations. And I’m sorry but I haven’t overcome this fear yet, so I try to avoid needles whenever I can… So, given that egg donors proceed to become so voluntarily, I’d like to know whether I could take oral medications instead of needle injections during the medical procedure of egg donation… Otherwise, I’m afraid I wont’t engage in the process because I’ll suffer like a lot…

11/11/2015 at 7:58 am
  2. Dear Marie,

I am afraid the use of needle injections for the egg donation process is a general requirement. The hormone medications give for controlled ovarian stimulation (COS) for both patients and recipients has to be necessarily administered subcutaneously.

However, there is no reason not to try, since it is a very small injection. It is self-administered, so you can imagine how easy it is to administer. Besides, the treatment does not last longer than 2 weeks.

Be it as it may, egg donation should be, above all, an altruistic, voluntary process in which prospective women should engage only in case it does not present any potential risk for them. In your case, if self-administering the hormone medication poses an unbearable discomfort, then you should think twice whether you actually want to be an egg donor or not. But this is only my personal point of view.

Hope this helps

11/11/2015 at 1:19 pm
  3. Hello Sandra,

Any tips on what to think/do or something for doing the belly injections? I’m terrified!!!! The thing is, I’m fine with big needles, but have fear of the little ones, can u believe that??? haha so I though maybe there is some “home remedy” someone has followed or is doing to help with it…? My partner can help as he will pass out just at the sight of a needle hahahaha What a couple!!!

07/13/2016 at 8:57 am
    • Dear miar nana,

Many women are afraid of the trigger shot, as it can be one of the most crucial moments of the IVF or egg donation process. Most of them are afraid they will do it incorrectly, or are intimidated by the size of the needle.

But first you should take into account that it is not painful actually. It is normal to feel some discomfort with the injection, but it is generally well tolerated. Besides, no sudden or side effects can be caused by the shot, so don’t worry about that. Perhaps you feel mild soreness in the are of the injection, but it not dangerous or severe.

The best ways to reduce anxiety around self-administering the trigger shot is trying to relax and have your partner or any other family member with you. You can even ask a experienced health professional to administer the injection for you, if needed. If you take care and have everything you need ready prior to doing the injection, prepare yourself beforehand, and ask you physician if you have questions, no problem will arise.

I hope I have been able to help,

Best wishes

07/14/2016 at 3:04 pm
  4. Thank you very much Sandra 😀

07/14/2016 at 4:58 pm
    • Hi miar nana! Honestly, they don’t hurt at all 😉 they are such a fine needle, I promise!!! Don’t worry at all!!!

07/15/2016 at 9:06 am
Leave a reply