Certified Medical Magazine by WMA, ACSA, HON
Examples of infertility acronyms & fertility abbreviations

Examples of infertility acronyms & fertility abbreviations

1. <span  class="bbp-author-name">Charissa Katsaros</span>
    Charissa Katsaros

Hey, this forum is free, isn’t it? I want to share my thoughts with you all, because I’m fed up of reading sets of incredibly messy words that are almost impossible to read. Ttc, 2ww, Ivf, Iui, OHSS… I know the meaning of a few, but believe I don’t understand most threads in this and other forums related to infertility because I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF THOSE MESSY ABBREVIATIONS. Maybe it’s because I’m not a native English speaker (my mother language is Greek) or maybe not, but please can you clarify the meaning of “Ttc” and “2ww” to me? Thanks in advance.

04/12/2016 at 5:32 pm
  2. Dear Charissa,

thanks for creating this topic, I think it’ll be highly useful for many people reading us, as it is true that fertility acronyms and abbreviations are widely used in English. There is a long list of fertility abbreviations, so I hope everyone reading this share their doubts and I’ll try to clarify them. Maybe this can become a kind of glossary 🙂

As for the abbreviations you don’t understand, here’s the meaning:

1. TTC = trying to conceive
    2. 2WW = two-week wait (also abbreviated “TWW”) and makes reference to the period of time during which women have to wait for their pregnancy test to be done after a fertility treatment (often IVF embryo transfer)

I hope I have been able to help,

Best regards

04/13/2016 at 3:18 pm
    • hahahaha thank you Sandra for clarifying those abbreviations!! And Charissa, for your information I’m from Glasgow, UK (English native speaker) and have started recently with IVF, so words like “ttc” were totally unknown for me!!! It’s a relief you’ve created this forum since many women will find it VERY useful over their fertility journey!!!

Btw, what is the meaning of “BFP” and “BFN”? I keep on reading threads with that words in the title but don’t understand a word… I understand the meaning by context (for example, BFN is always related to pregnancy failure) but don’t know the exact words they stand for, know what I mean?

04/14/2016 at 9:14 am
    • Hello, you can ask me for any abbreviation you wish, I know quite a bit about it 🙂 Well, Florentine989 “BFN” means “big fat negative” and refers to getting a negative result after a pregnancy test (which, btw, is usually abbreviated “HPT” if you take a “home pregnancy test”). And “BFP” means just the opposite: “big fat positive” and when you see it I bet you’ll read how happy the person is because it means she is pregnant!!!!! XOXO

04/15/2016 at 11:38 am
  3. Thank you guys!! And what about “DH”? Thank God there’s always someone willing to help!!!! 😀

04/16/2016 at 12:37 pm
  4. Guys, what are the differences between ET and FET? I keep on seeing them on comments and threads, but I don’t see the difference as they are always used in the same context. Any explanations? I’ll start fertility treatment in 2 months and want to be totally prepared for this 😉 Hoping Ms. Pregnancy arrives soon!!!

04/17/2016 at 12:01 pm
    • Hello strongerthanyou2,

Wishing you the best of luck with your IVF cycle!! There you go:

1. ET = embryo transfer
      2. FET = frozen embryo transfer

Best

04/18/2016 at 11:03 am
  5. Ohh, okay! And is there any abbreviation for a “fresh embryo transfer”? I guess it must be different because FET is used for frozen embryos…

04/19/2016 at 5:25 pm
    • Hello again strongerthanyou2,

No, there’s no abbreviation for a “fresh embryo transfer” as ET is the one for that. When we talk about an ET, we are talking about a fresh embryo transfer unless otherwise indicated.

I hope I have been able to help,

Regards

04/20/2016 at 9:01 am
  6. This is a great thread with valuable information, I do agree with you. One of my friends is facing pregnancy issues and taking fertile pills twice a day. My question is that these pills will not harm the body. Should she continue with pills? Please give your suggestion that is very valuable to us.

Thanks

12/20/2017 at 8:32 am
Leave a reply
Other topics related to this forum